This is my post I made last year January, I hope it will be helpful to you.
1. Take Hesi exam serious, it's not easy or basic and that depends on your college.
2. About timing I took 282minutes and 21 sec ( 4 hours 42 minutes). I did not see any timeout icon. There was no timing per section so take your time. Many students will leave within two hours and by three hours the room will be empty. Hey! I stayed in the room alone for almost two hours. Now am rejoicing! Take your time. If you are a fast reader, Go! Go!, if you are not, please take your time.They give you 4 hours to take exam.
3. The initial report we had about the exams was that, there are 50 questions in Math, 47 in English comprehension, 25 in sciences. No! The exam reflected a different number, Math, English section all were 55 questions, sciences was 30 questions. In fact we were told that there was no grammar section and later we realized that there was grammar and we had to do it. My study buddy said to me that, "it doesn't hurt to study physics even though there is no physics section".
4. Always know that, last year's Hesi might be different with this year's. So in case a former Hesi student shares with you what they had in their exam, keep in mind it will be all new again.
5. Do not put your trust in the recommended test book by Elsevier; it has some errors in it that are misguiding. I had other 4 different types of Hesi study guides but all had errors.
6. Make sure you have other text book. In my case, I used my General Anatomy & Physiology text book, Chemistry Text book, Microbiology Text book, Rules for Writers text book, and basic mathematics by McKeague ( I have done all these classes in the past and retained my text book)
7. Have a study buddy, to ask questions that you do not understand, or just call and share about a topic. My relationship with my study buddy had a great positive outcome, and we both made it among the top 20-25 students.
8. If you are not good in a certain subject, please use yu-tube videos. There are great instructors there! Also if your college is offering Academic success, that's a great opportunity for you to start from the beginning.
9. Quiz-lets are VERY helpful but some of them have got errors, so use your text book to correct the errors. Correcting errors will allow your brain to retain that information you are correcting.
10. My study buddy love to use study cards, I don't! Use what works for you better.
11. A timetable worked for me, this is because I work, run business, and have home/family to manage.
12. Stay away from negative people; you will meet students repeating Hesi for the second, third or fourth time. Do not let anyone's experience be yours. You are different and destined for better things.
13. English is my third language besides speaking and writing 5 other languages. We had sections of English i.e. English Comprehension, grammar, Vocabulary. I read most of the paragraphs I found online. Vocabulary section, you need to know the ones in the Elsevier text book and any other source will be helpful. Math section (Know Decimals, fractions, House hold measurements, Algebra, proportions, General math. You also have an inbuilt calculator, very helpful) Chemistry ( know Chemical reactions, Gas law, chemical bonds, periodic table, solution/solvent/solute, water) Reading and comprehension ( Word meanings, Conclusions, implications, understanding) Biology (know cell structure, cell transport, competitive inhibitors, phenotype/genotype) Anatomy ( Know all about the importance of Carbon dioxide CO2 in the body, Gall bladder, Menstrual circle, ossification) we did not have any easy question in science sections. We were able to choose what subject to start with, I started with my sciences, math and then English last.
14. Eat good before you go to exam room, have something to drink like water while doing exam. Take some time off and deep breath, this will help your eye muscle relax and your brain as well. Stay away from things that will distract you. Believe that you can make it.
15. Lastly, prepare yourself for good news or bad news. We had to wait for a week to be called by the college. Waiting after Hesi exam is very stressful. In my college, it does not matter if you had 90% in your exam. If 25 student had 91% and above then you are done! Bye..... Get yourself ready for the result.
I wish you all the best and please remember to share with allnurses.com. Sorry for my English writing!