I just felt the need to share my experiences as an RN in the world today. I have been an LPN since Oct 2012 and got my RN Sept 2013. I have already worked in a bunch of different areas of nursing. I was lucky enough to be able to land various jobs before finding what I want to do with the rest of my life basically. I am currently 32 years old. I started working when I was 16.
History of me:
- Pharmacy technician for 10+ years in both retail and hospital setting
- Secretary for a Hospice
- Office assistant for a non-profit
- Local Coffeehouse Manager/Barista
- Long-term Care facility with lots of vent/trach patients (LPN)
- Med-surg-tele nurse
- Cerner Analyst contract for a local hospital system (went around and helped nurses transition from paper charting to EMR - loved that)
- Home Health (short-time)
- Managing a Doctor's office
- Research/HEDIS nurse for an Insurance Company (Current job - started as a contract and got hired on full-time last Nov).
I currently work in informatics and now I cannot imagine myself doing anything else. I am very computer-based. I love computers when it comes to healthcare. I do a lot of chart reviews, audits, coding, and data extraction. As much as I loved working with patients and working clinically I realized I love this more. I work at home, that gives me opportunities like traveling often that I would not be able to do with other nursing jobs. As long as I have a WiFi connection, I can work. I live in NJ and have traveled to Colorado and Arizona to see some friends (I worked during the day on Eastern time - typically 5a-1p) and then hang out with friends for lunch/dinner.
It has been a long time since I could say with 100% sincerity that I love my job! It has also been a long time to where I feel I achieved a happy balance between my professional and personal life. :) Thank you for reading and have a great day!! :)