I'm currently working on a med/surg floor at a smaller, rural hospital. I have been there for a bit over a year now. During this time, I've had mixed feelings about being in this area. I know that it is not my niche in the nursing world- but at this point, I'm not sure what is. Prior to getting my R.N., I worked for many years as a CNA in LTC with the elderly population. I liked it, although it was often very mentally and physically exhausting. I think that as a nurse, I would prefer to be in an area that allows me to get to know my patients better and have more of a routine each day. I don't think I'd want to work in a nursing home simply because of the high patient load!
Okay! Here's the situation: A while back I contacted the nurse manager at our local outpatient cancer center to inquire about job openings. I did a 6 week internship there as a student nurse and loved it! I love working with cancer patients. They didn't allow me as a student to administer chemo, but I accessed ports and hung the pre-meds. I really liked the environment and the staff there. At this time, there were no current openings.
This aftenoon I got a call from the nurse manager, and she told me that a position is opening and asked me if I wanted to interview for it. She woke me out of a sleep, so I told her I would contact her tomorrow. The problem is this: My job requires a month's notice! The nightshift is usually a bit short-staffed, I am scheduled for ACLS this month, I requested holiday time off, ect ect. Although my current job, is not my "niche", it is generally pretty flexible regarding scheduling (which is so important to me).
I am caught between staying in my comfort zone (which I don't love) - and moving on to something different (which I'm not sure I'll like if I actually have to give chemo or practice as an R.N. rather than a student)? I'm worried that because we are "slim-pickin's" at night at my current job, and that I've just completed several certs, that they may not consider hiring me back in the future (if I decide oncology isn't my thing). I'm also worried that if I decline to interview, that the oncology nurse manager won't consider me for future employment. Ahhhh, I am feeling stuck as to how I should go about all of this!! I'd appreciate any opinions or to hear from others who have gone through similar conundrums. Sorry this was so long!!!