Jump to content


Content by babynursewannab

  1. babynursewannab

    Interview at UTC?

    Just bumping... I was wondering what the interview process was like at UTCs CRNA program.
  2. babynursewannab

    What should I do?

    I start clinicals this fall ( )and have options as to which area hospital to learn at. Each area hospital is known for one thing or another. So, my questions are: For a student, does it matter where you got your in-school training? I mean, should I just go to the hospital closest to me for convenience or should I make the 40 min extra drive effort for the more technologically advanced and higher-esteemed hospital in the area? Do future empolyers pay any attention to which hospitals you learned at (if you had a choice)? A sidenote to the issue is the hospital that is further away is the nation's leading birthing hospital....I want to work there in L&D after graduation...do school clinicals actually give you an opportunity to make impressions on people who hire at hospitals? Wow. Little did I realize how many questions I have. Open the flood gates....:chuckle Thanks for any help anyone can give me! Alyssa
  3. babynursewannab

    Rooming-in Vs. Nursery Care

  4. babynursewannab

    Rooming-in Vs. Nursery Care

    My situation was a bit different than most. I live away from most of my family (across the country) and my husband had to stay with our other child. My mother-in-law couldn't come and stay. I was completely alone with the exception of occasional visits for those days. I also have an autoimmune disorder that, as most do, rears its ugly head with stress. Don't automatically assume they returned the baby for feeding. I was supplementing. She was a great latch and would feed well from me, but we had other GI issues with her so we were doing both. The nurses knew they could have given her something. I know all about bonding and breastfeeding and all the rest. This was my third child and I had already had years of experience in L&D. No one needed to teach me or my underlying maternal self to bond. The baby and I had already shown we were fine in that area. I simply needed one night of sleep to recoup from the problems I had at delivery and the exhaustion from the heavier than normal bleeding...methergine was given twice....my counts weren't quite low enough to warrant a transfusion. Nevermind the stress from worrying about the baby. All of this is simply one example of why strict rooming in may not be best in EVERY case. I wasn't saying rooming in is bad. Heck, I wanted her there, but I simply wanted a short reprieve. One night wouldn't have killed the baby...or the nurses. The best part of the whole story is one year later, I was finishing my BSN and did my preceptorship on that very same unit. I was told by a group of nurses chatting: " Lots of moms ask for us to take the baby but they just need to learn to deal. We're not going to be there when they go home." Very similar to a previous post. This is cold. I work in a CVICU now and imagine if I had one of my open-heart patients laying in tears, throwing up from exhaustion, bleeding more than expected, outright asking for help after FOUR days and nights and I told them they just had to stick it out on their own...I won't be there when you go home! This is the recovery period, I came to the hospital in case I needed help. I could have homebirthed, but didn't (thank goodness). How about instead of just lumping every patient into one way of treatment, we ASSESS the patient and treat them like they had individual needs.
  5. babynursewannab

    Rooming-in Vs. Nursery Care

    hmmm.... While I am all for the theoretical aspects of rooming in, I know from experience it is not always the best choice. In fact, in my case, rooming in was a significant factor in excessive fatigue and postpartum depression. Granted this was because we were there for 5 days. However, the "rooming in" mindset of the facility prevented me from getting more than 2.5 hours of sleep each 24 hour period. While in my room, my daughter was on billi lights and antibiotics and an O2 monitor so monitor alarms, pump alarms and bright lights were constantly on or sounding. On night four, I was throwing up from lack of sleep (the unfortunate way my body handles that situation), I started bleeding excessively and I was barely able to keep any conversation going with my husband...just couldn't think straight. I BEGGED for the baby to go to the nursery at 4am. I got a look of total shock from the nurse and an "oooooooooKaaaaayyyyy" as she slowly rolled the bassinet out of my room. I am not kidding here when I tell you they returned the baby to me 2, TWO hours later!!!!! WTF???? I became so angry and resentful at that point towards the staff, my husband, my mother-in-law, my other daughter and also the baby. I was sent home 5 hours later to the usual new-parent, breast-feeding, other-children-at-home fatique without any rest whatsoever after delivery. That anger ended up being the major manifestation of my pp depression. I didn't even recognize myself. It took a while to resolve, but it did. All I had needed was sleep after delivery to cope better. I'm not saying I wouldn't have experienced some degree of ppd, but my anger and resentment always trailed back to the hospital whenever I thought a lot about it. So, while in most cases....and I do believe in most...rooming in is probably the best option, it certainly is not ALWAYS best. I think facilities and nursing staff need to pay really close attention to the mothers' behavior patterns and not just vital signs (as I have seen in most cases -- yes I have worked L&D). Many are tired or don't want to be pests so don't really say what they need. This wasn't a flame on the OP, I just wanted to give another viewpoint to the story. -Alyssa
  6. babynursewannab

    I can't do this.

    Easily??? :uhoh21: Not a chance. You need to do what will save you. Often, I took one class a semester while doing my prereqs. It saved my sanity AND allowed me to get better grades by being able to focus. I was a single mom, driving my daughter 45 minutes to school, working full time and going to school myself. It can be done. Just don't let yourself fall into that "supermom" pitfall. Time and scenario management skills are regarded highly in nursing. Use this as more training. On top of motherhood this will just turn you from pro to "super pro"! Good luck to you. It'll be okay. alyssa
  7. babynursewannab

    Ear Candling !!

    My husband has the most amazing wax capacity in his ears of any human out there, I'm sure....even his doctors are stunned. Candling is the ONLY way his ears get clear. It's not harmful - nothing actually goes into the ear canal and it is absolutely painless. We LOVE it!
  8. babynursewannab

    7p-7a and exercise

    Exact same scenario as me: 7p-7a and CVICU -- so lots of motivation. After a couple of months getting used to the new sleep rhythm, I started hitting the gym in May at 8:30am and did that 4 times a week. I'd stay there an hour and then go home and crash. Yes. I did this even if I had a shift to wake up for at 4:30. It was tough at first but now I'm 25 pounds lighter for it. (translates as: "worth it") Good luck, it gets easier once you start! -Alyssa
  9. babynursewannab

    Protonix IVP

    I am having a heck of a time with my IVP Protonix doses at work. We give the 2 minute injections. The problem I am having is even when it is supposedly compatible with whatever is in-line, *POOF* we get precipitation :uhoh21: . I must have dc'd and changed tubing on nearly every pt I had last week. Yes, I know, flush-push-flush. Honestly, though, I called pharmacy after the first time and verified the compatibility of all the meds. Still happened. Is it the experience of anyone else using this administration method for Protonix that no matter what you just have to pause, flush, push, flush? -exasperated!
  10. babynursewannab

    Protonix IVP

    Yeah, that's the formulation most people are familiar with. There is a newer formulation that lets you reconstitute 40mg Protonix w/10cc NS to IVP over 2 minutes and then follow w/a 2 minute 10cc NS flush. I think I'm just going to pause, flush, push, flush from now on. No point risking anything. Thanks for your answers everyone!
  11. babynursewannab

    What is weighed more heavily?

    -ouch :uhoh21: Been on this board much?
  12. babynursewannab

    looking for feedback/advice on this idea

    suction? How exactly (and please do graphically set up the picture) does the set-up go? I can't seem to wrap my brain around it.
  13. babynursewannab

    My most amazing story! (long)

    Of course you may. Thank you everyone for your wonderful replies. I really did hope for this post to be motivating! -Alyssa
  14. babynursewannab

    Blood draws through infusing central lines

    Pt on pressors and blows A-line and it must be dc'd. Pt is now on q1 or 2 min NBP readings for monitoring until new a-line can be reinserted. Meanwhile pt condition dictates (as well as timed labs) that stat blood draws are in order (pvc runs and such). Pt is extremely edematous. And unstable. 2 ICU nurses cannot get a stick for stat labs. Respiratory cannot find radial artery on either arm. IV nurse arrives (It's the weekend, mind you) and cannot get a stick. Second IV nurse arrives...same outcome. Blood draw is absolutely necessary at this point as per MD on phone. Guess where we get it from. Our only option...the Swan. Results of the labs showed major problems. This is probably the only type of scenario (codes don't count) I would consider messing with the pressors. In my unit most are severely labile and if pressors are paused, we just sit and watch the numbers go. I wouldn't recommend it outside of emergency situations. Sticks would most certainly be the way to go.
  15. babynursewannab

    Blood draws through infusing central lines

    If it is absolutely necessary to draw off of line running pressors, pause the run, then you first draw BACK about 5-7 cc's of blood off the line to remove drug in there. Then, you draw the blood sample w/o flushing, then flush the line with 10cc's (or more if necessary). The pressor can be restarted at this point. I will tell you that in my unit (CVICU), we generally have an A-line and draw from that. However, if there is no A-line and we have a very sensitive pt in terms of pressors (we can't pause them for a lumen), then we get to stick 'em. No way around that one. -Alyssa
  16. babynursewannab

    Is night shift for me?

    A warm bath and a relaxation yoga tape has me passed out on the floor before it's even over. Perhaps there is an anxiety issue that you're not fully aware of...some aspect of work you just can't get comfortable with. Many of us have things that affect us yet it can take us a while to realize there is an issue with anything. Good luck.
  17. babynursewannab

    Recurrent Muscle Spasms LONG VENT

    Now.. I'm with you on this. Fibro is nasty...I have it. But if her symptoms are like mine were last week? It is certainly not fibro. This particular problem feels like whiplash or a vertebral slip or a bad disk. Nasty SHARP pain. Honestly, I'll choose my fibro pain over that any day. A rhuematologist is worth a gander, though. I obviously can't dx you and it never hurts to get checked out.
  18. babynursewannab

    Recurrent Muscle Spasms LONG VENT

    Ditch the PCP. You should be able to sign up for a new one easily. At least that's the case w/most insurance plans. This one is too into pharmacotherapy for your needs/comfort. And what's up with the not wanting to do an MRI????? Full diagnostic screening seems necessary for your case. And you certainly aren't a DSB candidate...you're straight out telling them you don't want more drugs. A new PCP should have no problem referring you to a neurologist (which you most certainly need!) Do try and ask your current PCP for one, though. He may surprise you there. Are you able to tolerate massage in the meantime? It might help relax the spasms a little. I "sprained" my neck last week and had the EXACT same symptoms (same side, too -- scary) you speak of. I put it in quotes because I too have no idea where the injury came from. I was put on Flexeril and Skelaxin as well. Luckily mine cleared after 3-4 days. (Now I'm nervous after your post) Maybe it's a funky virus... Good luck hon. Let us know how it goes. -Alyssa
  19. babynursewannab

    SEVERE hot flashes at 30 yrs old

    At 32, I am crowned the oldest woman on my mother's side of the family who has not completed going through menopause. All others in that line were early, my mom was complete by 29, my aunt by age 25. I started perimenopause at 17 with the hotflashes. Eventually I became so irregular (and had other major issues) that I had a hysterectomy and one ovary removed...I thought I didn't want to take hormones. Silly me. The moods and flashes are worse now for me. I'm looking on the bright side, though. This probably means I'm gettin' close to done. WooHoo! :rotfl: I agree with others, you should check with an endocrinologist for a very thorough check up. It still might be thyroid. Some people need a series study to track fluctuations and trending can be caught that way. Good luck.
  20. babynursewannab

    Scrub sizing vent...grr....

    Then there are those of us who are "regular" sized but have shorter legs and not much fill in the rear. Petite or short pants come to the ankles while we trip over most regular length scrubs and it always looks like we need a diaper change!!! :rotfl:
  21. babynursewannab

    New nurse blues

    Hon, Relax on the need for full competency. My orientation was about 6 MONTHS and I still feel queasy at times (see my "crudmonkies" post). 6 weeks IS a little short for preceptors to be so expectant. Yes, there are things you should be able to do by then, but the most important skill you need under your belt is ALWAYS ASK FOR HELP WHEN YOU NEED IT!!!!!!!! I can NOT emphasize that enough. It will save your sanity and, possibly, your patients' lives. What you are feeling is normal. Try to be patient with yourself even when others aren't. It's difficult but doable. Good luck, sounds like you are doing a great job. -Alyssa
  22. babynursewannab

    Oh crudmonkies...whoops

    Ok. So, Monday, I just had my first shift off of orientation (yay for me) with the easiest assignment in the CVICU. I find errors all over the place and spend the first 4 of my 8 hour noc shift refaxing and/or calling orders to pharmacy from day shift, readmitting the patients into the system (the monitors were still set up with the previous patients' info in both of my rooms) and catching up on night tasks (bath, stock, straighten, etc...). I helped out all up and down my hall when I finished meds or vitals. I educated, I assisted, I made sure my lines were in date and labeled, I ordered new meds for the next shift, I was all caught up on my paperwork. I was rockin'. I was so happy I blew that first shift out of the water...it was the one I was most worried about. Then I sit down and do my totals and go to review my charts to freshen up on histories for report. AAAAAAAAAKKKKKKK!!!!!! My two patients were so freaking identical that I had followed the Urine Output protocol that one of the patients was on for BOTH! :smackingf :selfbonk: I caught it 10 minutes before report. Luckily, the one I should have been stricter with (probably should have hung 5% albumin 3 hours prior) started picking up with a 40cc output for the last hour. Now, this should have been a no brainer, but both of these patients had their UOP orders changed 3 times a piece on evening shift (no, really, they did) AND I spent a good chunk of those first 4 hours piecing together the worst report I had ever received. It was from an orientee on her first day...(We were all there once and I didn't want to freak her out so I just asked a lot more questions than I usually have to)...so I know I shouldn't be too hard on myself. But, JEESH, c'mon! Urine? How freakin' basic is that and who on earth would normally think "Hey, one of these pts is on 15cc/hour UOP is 'ok' protocol so let's follow that for both." Poor woman's kidneys. Luckily for her the previous shift had aggressively treated her so she only missed one treatment from me and, like I said, she DID pick up on her own and she was always in the 20's or 30's otherwise. I'm just so frustrated with myself because it was direct patient care, not something like forgetting to label my IV tubing or reordering meds or the like that I fudged up on. Well, at least I know what my first action after report and assessment will be from now on. I have no clue how I missed it this time with the number of times I was in and out of those charts with pharmacy, but I sure won't miss it again. Whew. Thanks for letting me vent. I feel better.
  23. babynursewannab

    Interviewing-- What should I ask?

    You can also feel free to ask about rates of attrition on the unit you are interested in...including why they left. I did and all of the managers I spoke with were happy to let me know. That way I was prepared for watching people come and go when it has happened.
  24. babynursewannab

    pt/nurse ratio?

    We occasionally get triples on our unit. But, BOY, do butts get chewed out when it happens. We have a staffing issue right now, so it is only preventable if we have float coverage or the director of critical care comes in to help (which she does...she's awesome). But sometimes that isn't enough. The norm is 2:1 standard or 1:1 critical-critical.
  25. babynursewannab

    Down time

    I've recently noticed two outcomes of my working in critical care: 1) I can't stay on my diet my personal trainer is desperately trying to keep me on (yes...I need someone to kick my butt for motivation) because I have (as most of you do) 1/2 hour to leave my station, get to wherever the food is, heat the food (or buy it), eat it and then get back to my station. Sorry, I wanna be shoving food in the whole half-hour. Who knows when I'll get to eat again in that 12 hour period? Then, when I get home at 8am, I eat anything that is not tied down and I don't have to prepare then stumble to bed. (wake up and start over) I don't eat enough, much less good stuff. 2) I'm becoming emotially needy at home. After taking care of two patients who are on the verge of celestial transfers all night long without a break, I want to be taken care of when I get home. I don't want to be asked to do anything and I don't want to HAVE to do anything. Don't get me wrong, I DO everything...just not happily. So I guess you could say it gets me emotionally, spiritually and health-wise not to have reguar breaks. Good luck, -Alyssa

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.