I checked this forum post two years ago before I started my journey to RN in the USA. It felt like everyone had the same questions and no answers - so I did what I could and started my applications and pushed forward without a clear path to registration. Fingers crossed that It wouldn't be too time consuming / expensive.
I am so happy to see that there are some clear cut answers for people now! Thankyou Chicarol for your amazing advice RE: NY registration. I may be emailing you soon with some questions.
I have been Nursing in AUS and NZ for about 10 years - Completed my degree at Flinders University in South Australia. I Married a UScitizen and have since moved to Austin Texas and have had my greencard here for two years (Working in a coffee shop in the meantime, $12 an hour yay - the American dream people).
I applied for the Texas Board of Nursing and made my CGFNS Application 12 months ago and only just now received my CGFNS CES report stating that I was deficient in Maternal/Infant, Psychiatric/Mental Health Nursing and Nursing care of Children. See image attached.
FYI - If you are even considering becoming registered in the USA submit that application for the CGFNS CES report yesterday - it is a pain in the arse, it takes forever, their communication is appalling and If I didn't already invest so much time and money into using them I would never, ever use them again if I could help it.
My TX BON application has expired as of this week (The same week my report was issued....) so I have sent them an email asking how I should proceed....
When I look at nursing courses at colleges here (Austin community college in particular) it is clear that the deficiencies in my nursing degree are the equivalent of the third semester of study here in Texas (See other attached Image)
Before I read this post I would assume that my best course of action would be to contact the College and ask to do ONLY that semester of courses and practicals and this would give me educational equivalency. I have no idea if this is something that they will do or not and have not yet contacted the college as I am awaiting clarification from the Board of Nursing.
Now I am thinking that my fastest track should be to apply to the NY BON with my current CES report forwarded to them - Hopefully they accept it without further education, sit the NCLEX with them instead, become registered there and then apply for registration via endorsement rather than examination for the Texas Board of Nursing.
Phew. What a last couple of years it has been...