Jump to content

Penn State study says mouthwash can kill coronavirus — in lab dishes

Posted

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion. Has 44 years experience.

My dental hygenist new protocol prior to teeth cleaning this month: 3 min Hydrogen Peroxide swish followed by Listerine mouthwash rinse. Smart Women.

Philadelphia Inquirer    10/20/2020

Penn State study says mouthwash can kill coronavirus — in lab dishes. Human trials are next.
 

Quote

 

Simple solutions to complicated problems have huge appeal, so it’s no wonder that squelching the coronavirus with mouthwash is being studied.

Penn State College of Medicine is the latest to show that mouthwashes, nasal rinses, and even very diluted baby shampoo can kill coronaviruses by rupturing the microbes' fatty shells.

But the experiments were in lab dishes, not people. And the Penn State scientists used cousins of the pandemic coronavirus, because the real thing can only be studied in labs with extra biosecurity....

 

 

My hygienist gave me a solution to rinse with a couple of months ago but it wasn’t Listerine and probably not hydrogen peroxide either. It had a strong odor and, I suppose, taste of, bug spray. I didn’t ask!

GrumpyRN, NP

Specializes in Emergency Department. Has 39 years experience.

But how is a mouthwash going to do anything to a virus? At best it will kill localised colonies in saliva but as soon as you start talking/breathing up it comes again.

“If you have virus in your lungs, you just cough it back up into your mouth," said Thomas E. Rams, director of the oral Microbiology testing lab at Temple University’s Kornberg School of Dentistry.“

Sorry, sounds like another "bleach injection" to me.

 

17 hours ago, GrumpyRN said:

But how is a mouthwash going to do anything to a virus? At best it will kill localised colonies in saliva but as soon as you start talking/breathing up it comes again.

“If you have virus in your lungs, you just cough it back up into your mouth," said Thomas E. Rams, director of the oral Microbiology testing lab at Temple University’s Kornberg School of Dentistry.“

Sorry, sounds like another "bleach injection" to me.

 

Even if it decreases the viral load, I would do it. I heard about this many months ago from an ID doctor from TX. He is originally from the same european country I'm originally from and I used to watch his online videos here and there. He recommended that months and months ago. 

Really , it can't hurt. At least you will have a clean breath 😂

GrumpyRN, NP

Specializes in Emergency Department. Has 39 years experience.

7 hours ago, NewRN'16 said:

Really , it can't hurt. At least you will have a clean breath 😂

But you just know that someone somewhere will see "Hydrogen Peroxide" and start swilling household bleach. 🤪😜

 

7 hours ago, NewRN'16 said:

Even if it decreases the viral load, I would do it.

Simpler just to wear a mask. 😷

 

Just as a PS to this, I went to my dentist recently and they never bothered with that, they used proper PPE.

Edited by GrumpyRN
To add PS