What advice would you give to a pregnant lady(m)

  1. to avoid induction? Hey there, I am 18 weeks pg right now, w/2nd child. First one was induced after being 10 days late. Docs in practice w/ my MW said something about calcium spots on my placenta? My exp was not what I'd hoped for. The contrax were way stronger than I'd thought, w/ no break. I had an epidural at 4 cm, it seemed way too strong. Icouldn't feel a thing, though pushing went well, only 15 mins. The whole labor was about 6 hrs. Darling daughter was all of 7 lbs, so she couldn't have been THAT overdue!

    What can I do this time to avoid induction? 1st off, I know this time my due date is off. The docs say 4/26, but I ovulate after 16 days, so by my calculations it should be 4/29. I hated being hooked up to everything, that monitor was so uncomfortable! but I don't want to put the baby at risk, and don't know enough myself to argue w/ Docs. Plus, I don't want to go into labor w/ a chip on my shoulder. Any thoughts? I'm willing to deal w/ pain and be 'overdue' again. Anyway, just wondered. Thanks!

  2. Visit jen74 profile page

    About jen74

    Joined: Jul '01; Posts: 9


  3. by   canoehead
    Babies come when they are ready for the most part. Sorry- I don't have any solutions.
  4. by   finallyRN
    Just remember that you have the right to say no to being induced. If you go past your due date some doctors with do bi-weekly testing of the fetal well being, called NST's . If all looks o.k. with these tests your doctors should let you continue past your due date untill hopefully you're body is ready to do it on your own.
    Just as a side note. 6 hours of labor and 15 minutes of pushing in labor with your first baby is pretty quick, hopefully this one should be even quicker!! Best of luck.
  5. by   SmilingBluEyes
    Be proactive. Make a birth plan that is written exactly how you want......but be open to possible change if medical conditions change. BE assertive. Tell your care provider what you said here. I wish you well.
  6. by   cpgrn
    I would refuse unless there was a very good reason for the induction. Try to find a doctor who understands your wishes.
  7. by   OBNurseShelley
    Having calcium deposits on your placenta means it's starting to crap out, sounds like your labor went well and rather quickly for a fast baby, i woulnd't worry about it, labor hurts regardless of being induced or not, I would wait and see what happens, and if you go past your due date, fine, as long as baby still continues to look ok on the monitor and your placenta looks ok.
  8. by   moz
    Definitely talk to your doctor/mw about all this up front, and know where you stand with them. The right thing is nsts to see if the baby needs out-but some docs just automatically induce at 40, 41 weeks. And I feel for you, pitocin or any artificial labor is rough, but like finallyRN said this labor probably will be shorter.
    Good luck and congratulations!
  9. by   BBnurse34
    I would have wanted to induce if my placenta had calcium spots. Post term babies frequently do worse than preterm ones, but 10 days is not alot.
    Having a birth plan in place will help you feel in control, and being in control makes for a sweeter labor.
  10. by   mother/babyRN
    I concur, and don't forget to get a biophysical profile (and nst) when you are about due or overdue..Good luck!