What specific duties does a Licensed nurses Aide do?

  1. I was just interviewed for a RN position at a local Residential Home. Not a Nursing home or Assistive living type home.....the Director there called it a Level 3 Care home....I have never heard of a Level 3 home and have worked in many facilities. But.....apparently the LNAs there are allowed to pop and give meds out!!!!! I was shocked to find out that if the LNA GIVES the wrong medicine or a side effect occurs the NURSE is liable. Has anyone ever dealt with anything like this? Whats the legal aspect of it all. doesnt seem right if you ask me.
  2. Visit lumbarpain profile page

    About lumbarpain

    Joined: Mar '11; Posts: 330; Likes: 241
    Homecare RN; from VA , US
    Specialty: 17 year(s) of experience in Geriatric/Sub acute/home care


  3. by   GiantJerk
    I think it depends on the state BON's scope of practice for nurse's aids. In Texas, I'm pretty sure they aren't legally allowed to give medications. If it IS allowed in your state, then it would be a delegated practice, and therefore you (as the RN) would be responsible for what they do. If they mess up, it's on you as much as them.
  4. by   Esme12
    first of all, they may call them licensed, but unless they have taken a state certification test to be licensed they are certified. if they had a license the nurse would not be responsible if the gave a wrong med. most states allow "certified" people do give meds (those who have been "educated" and "proven" competent) under the license and direction of the rn. some places call them med techs or med aides. the "legality" depends on whether it is acute care, long term care or residential care.

    the actual requirements do vary from state to state. if the facility wants to misrepresent who is passing meds as along as they don't call them "nurses" (which is protects in most states)...they can do what they want. i would, however, be curious how the public would feel about being duped that these people have licenses. medicare and the joint commission probably would be interested as well about calling certified nurses aides "licensed"

    here is an example of the requirements for "unlicensed personnel"passing med in tn.
    faq for med administration for unlicensed personnel coursefaq for med administration for unlicensed personnel course internet redesign template

    as far as leveling nursing home the are leveled for acuity so regulations can be set for staffing. delaware in particular uses this terminology. to check out requirements by law......
  5. by   cna.jlu
    Yes I'm a CNA med tech. I worked in assisted living for awhile, I had to pour and administer medications including narcodics. I also had to do the acu-checks and administer insulin. I took a class that was only a couple days long and a test. I didn't mind passing meds when the nurses were in charge of checking the MAR's and taking off the Dr. orders. It was when the aides started taking off orders and checking the MAR's that scared the crap out of me. I found so many med errors!!! Then when we had to adminster insulin, I was done!!! Too much responsibility and not enough training. I am not a nurse and I don't think that aides should be doing this.
  6. by   jadelpn
    One can be a certified nurse assistant, or a certified med tech, or both. If someone is a certified med tech, it is usually meaning that the person "supervises" the resident in taking their own medication. (in assisted living, a residential facility for people with mental illness, that type of thing). It is a bit of a grey area when one gets into administering meds and are unlicensed. If you are the RN in the building and you are directing the unlicensed personel to "supervise" the resident in taking their own meds (that an RN or LPN has pre-poured, and the RN and/or LPN has done and signed the MAR) then you are responsible under your license of the outcome. If you are directing unlicensed personel to administer meds to residents, that could (COULD) fall under "not in their scope of practice" and COULD get you into hot water with an undesireable outcome. (and I would be assessing and such then directing if that is within the state guidelines). I would look at the scope of practice of med techs in your state. It does vary. And if it is not clear, then it could fall under the heading of "facility based". However, it is clear that whatever you direct an UAP to do, within their scope, is on you as the licensed person in house. So I would think that would be some pretty heavy supervising.