Relocating noncompact to compact state

  1. Hi there! New grad MN RN thinking about relocating. All of the jobs Im seeing require my license to be in the state, which makes sense, but I'm wondering if anyone has been successful applying places before their nursing license to that state has gone through.

    Also, MN is a noncompact state. Im not going to move until i have a job. Will this effect my ability to get a compact license if i don't live in a compact state? Any one had experience with this? Ive looked all over the state board website but nothing is clear.

  2. Visit beemax079 profile page

    About beemax079, BSN

    Joined: Feb '14; Posts: 13; Likes: 14


  3. by   elkpark
    If you apply for licensure in a compact state from out of state, you'll get a license for that state; it just won't have "compact privileges" and won't be able to be used to work in any other compact state. Once you relocate to the compact state and are a permanent resident there, your license will have "compact privleges." You cannot get a license with compact privileges without being a resident of the state.
  4. by   HouTx
    Most employers are unwilling to even look at applicants that are not 'good to go' unless it is for a hard-to-fill or management job. There are just too many people clamoring for jobs these days.
  5. by   mayvrn
    My primary license is from New Mexico, and I endorsed it to non compact state (Guam). Now, I want my license back to my primary one which is the NM. What's the process, since I already endorsed it to non compact state.

    I'm planning to relocate in NM.

    If anyone could help me regarding this, I will really appreciate it.
  6. by   Silverdragon102
    Until you move and your primary address is in NM you will just get a single state license when you endorse. If you move to NM before you endorse then you should get a compact license
  7. by   chare
    Endorsing your license to another state doesn't invalidate it, unless you are endorsing frome one compact state to another.

    Unless the registration period lapsed and you failed to renew it, your NM license should still be active. If it has lapsed, you should be able to reactivate it, which is a much easier process than endorsing it.

    ETA: The NM BON website should have all necessary forms and information.
  8. by   mayvrn
    Thank you Silverdragon and Chare for the infos you shared.

    I really appreciate it kudos to all of us!