Nurse severely beat

Published

Specializes in Psych, Substance Abuse. Has 12 years experience.

The workplace where I recently resigned is terribly understaffed. I fear something similar might happen to my former co-workers. 

Clement15

1 Post

Specializes in Psychiatric nursing.
On 8/7/2021 at 6:29 PM, B52 said:

The workplace where I recently resigned is terribly understaffed. I fear something similar might happen to my former co-workers. 

Hi everyone / "colleague",


I work in a French hospital, where we share the joy of a job that is both trying and humanly rewarding. However, I note that the security issues in psychiatric "Intensive care"" (you know what I mean) are not specific to the “Camenbert country”. I know I am far from the original topic, but in your country, can you allow patients to be admitted to hospital without their consent? How is this procedure organized and  what grounds?

Furthermore, I would be entirely available and even curious to discuss with a nurse on the safety measure present in your care services.

Feel free to contact me, look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thank you for your assistance regarding this matter

B.Regards

Specializes in Psych, Substance Abuse. Has 12 years experience.

Patients can be admitted without their consent if a medical professional (physician, psychiatric nurse, clinical social worker) or law enforcement officer considers them to be a danger to themself or others.

jayefrojersy

7 Posts

Sometimes you have to go with your gut feeling when newly admitting patients. More information needs to be given. If there is limited staff the intake could have be taken around other staff members not in a room alone with a new patient. You always have to put your own safety first , think about how you will be able to get to safety . 

elkpark

14,633 Posts

On 8/28/2021 at 7:28 AM, B52 said:

Patients can be admitted without their consent if a medical professional (physician, psychiatric nurse, clinical social worker) or law enforcement officer considers them to be a danger to themself or others.

That's not necessarily true in every US state (what categories of health professionals can commit someone involuntarily), the specific requirements vary from state to state.  But it is true that every US state has some mechanism for forcing people into psychiatric facilities if they are an acute danger to themselves or others.

Specializes in Psych, Substance Abuse. Has 12 years experience.
On 10/1/2021 at 10:55 AM, elkpark said:

That's not necessarily true in every US state (what categories of health professionals can commit someone involuntarily), the specific requirements vary from state to state.  But it is true that every US state has some mechanism for forcing people into psychiatric facilities if they are an acute danger to themselves or others.

It's true in Florida.

Queen Tiye, RN

231 Posts

What is this man’s diagnosis?  Is he schizophrenic?  If so, he shouldn’t be tried.  The facility should be indicted, they are at fault.  Psychotic patients become violent all the time, it’s the reason PICU’s exist.  It is the facilities responsibility to be adequately prepared to house such individuals.