no S.S no NCLEX?

  1. Hello,
    it's my joy to find this website and nice to meet you all.
    I'm a current 4th semester nursing student at college in CA.

    D/t lost of contact while getting a visa, I'm now paperless and have been paperless for almost 9 years.
    However, I got into the program and got through this far even without the S.S.

    Now it's time to apply for NCELX and with my recent research, I know I'm neither eligible to do live scan (because I have Washington driver's license instead of CA/ no CA ID, or U.S Passport) nor to take the NCLEX.

    Since there's nothing I could do, I was thinking about write some sort of petition letter to Providence Little company, explaining my situation and asking for issuing a S.S number if possible (I know it may sound ridiculous, but I had to do SOMETHING.. and wanted to avoid paper marriage stuff)

    I don't even know if that's possible, but let's say they do issue my a S.S for me,
    would I be okay to take the test? and would I be able to obtain CA license?

    Have any one of you had same experience like me?
    Do you recommend any places to write those pleading letters to?

    Being in the program was tough and I know I shouldn't be left like this when I have passion to be a nurse and I survived the program thus far.. (I'd be graduating in June!)

    any advice, encouragement are welcomed.. thank you so much for reading my message.
  2. Visit graceeunkim profile page

    About graceeunkim

    Joined: Apr '11; Posts: 1


  3. by   traumaRUs
    Are you in the US but not a citizen? If hat is the case I will be glad to move your thread to the INternational forum.
  4. by   tothepointeLVN
    How did this not come up when you got accepted into school? When I started nursing school I had to provide my green card and social security card.

    I'm assuming you live in the Torrance area if your going to try petitioning LCM. I don't think you can petition for a visa based on your nursing license until after you pass the nclex.

    I'm not going to pass judgement on you but I can imagine some students might be pretty ticked off at you taking a space in the nursing program without having all your paperwork in order.

    I personally blame your nursing school. They have set you up for heartache.
  5. by   elkpark
    Only the US government (the Social Security Administration) issues social security numbers. There's no one else you can "petition" for a number. The only way to get an SSN is to be in the US legally and legally authorized to work, which you are not.

    Perhaps you should talk to an attorney about what your legal options are at this point.