Jump to content

Looking for a job - new nurse

Job Hunt   (521 Views | 6 Replies)

76 Profile Views; 3 Posts

Hello all,

Happy Sunday! I am a new nurse just passed NCLEX and am looking for a job in Illinois, in the Chicagoland area and surrounding suburbs.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance (TIA).

Holiday Cheers!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

_Cecilia_ is a BSN, RN and specializes in Pediatrics.

2 Articles; 70 Posts; 1,265 Profile Views

Hi! Congratulations on passing your NCLEX!

Would you like general advice or advice on specific topics of Job Hunting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 Posts; 76 Profile Views

Thanks, first off.

Any advice will do.

I've had two interviews so far.

One was an over the phone interview - in which it started with: "we already offered the position to someone else". It was great to have the conversation and in addition I was told I would be considered later on if something opens up.

Another interview with a home health agency - which I am not sure I would like to do yet.

Then I have another interview coming up for a psych nurse role.

I would, however like to work in the city but am only getting feedback from the suburban area - which makes sense because I live in the suburbs. I guess I am trying to figure out the best way to get a job in the city - as I feel I would learn a lot more, being that it is a lot busier in the city. Thinking more into it - I guess it would take more time with city applications, as they probably get resumes come in all day and night.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hoosier_RN has 20 years experience as a MSN and specializes in LTC, home health, hospice, ICU, ER, dialysis.

4 Followers; 1,766 Posts; 3,702 Profile Views

4 hours ago, Passed Nclex - NEW RN said:

Another interview with a home health agency - which I am not sure I would like to do yet.

 

I would, however like to work in the city but am only getting feedback from the suburban area - which makes sense because I live in the suburbs. I guess I am trying to figure out the best way to get a job in the city - as I feel I would learn a lot more, being that it is a lot busier in the city. Thinking more into it - I guess it would take more time with city applications, as they probably get resumes come in all day and night.

Run from home health-a new grad nurse should not be doing this as you have to make independent decisions...not a good place for a novice nurse.

I know quite a few nurses in Chicago, and new grads are having a hard time finding that 1st acute job due to market saturation.  Go wherever you get an interview, but don't be disappointed or take it personally if you don't land a job in the city.  Also, if you don't have your BSN, work on that ASAP.  While it doesn't guarantee a job, it will help some in saturated market-moreso than an ASN/ADN if that's what degree you have.  Good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

_Cecilia_ is a BSN, RN and specializes in Pediatrics.

2 Articles; 70 Posts; 1,265 Profile Views

On 1/4/2020 at 1:33 PM, Passed Nclex - NEW RN said:

Thanks, first off.

Any advice will do.

I've had two interviews so far.

One was an over the phone interview - in which it started with: "we already offered the position to someone else". It was great to have the conversation and in addition I was told I would be considered later on if something opens up.

Another interview with a home health agency - which I am not sure I would like to do yet.

Then I have another interview coming up for a psych nurse role.

I would, however like to work in the city but am only getting feedback from the suburban area - which makes sense because I live in the suburbs. I guess I am trying to figure out the best way to get a job in the city - as I feel I would learn a lot more, being that it is a lot busier in the city. Thinking more into it - I guess it would take more time with city applications, as they probably get resumes come in all day and night.

I do agree with Hoosier in regards to getting a BSN/be willing to obtain a BSN in two years. In my area's city job market, every application required a BSN/willingness to obtain a BSN. It does help you become a more competitive applicant.

I've found that my nurse colleagues and I were able to be invited to in-person interviews for city hospitals via connections. If you don't have any connections in city hospitals, don't worry! I suggest building a strong LinkedIn profile that shows you're actively seeking jobs. Do reach out to nurses who work there or Nurse recruiters at the hospitals you're interested in.

Don't preface the connection request with "Please look at my resume" because many people will most likely be doing that, making you not stand out. Instead, ask Recruiters for what they're looking for in an ideal candidate and for nurses who work there, ask if they're willing to speak about their experiences while working at the hospital. For my current offer, when I spoke with a nurse who worked at the unit, he offered to send my resume and cover letter to his manager. In addition, when reaching out to either, try looking at their profiles first and see if there's a commonality between you two or something that sparks your interest and mention that very briefly in your connection request. This would be another way to catch their attention and accept your connection request.

Also, because there are a lot of candidates who are also going through in-person interviews in the city, many of them may only bring resumes. To help yourself stand out more, once you do receive the opportunity to go for an interview, I highly suggest bringing a portfolio of your accomplishments, etc. I've written an article on it; feel free to take a look if you'd like.

I haven't taken a look at your resume, but if you can, change your header to add some color (only one) to help catch the eye of the Sourcing Specialist. If other resumes always have black and white headers, they may just blend in with others. I've attached the header I've created to help stand out.

If you haven't tried this yet,  try creating a Cover Letter with a similar header to your resume. This allows you to speak a little more about your experiences and how it can tie into the role (so it's important to personalize each cover letter)! Make sure that the introduction of the CV includes the mission and/or values of the hospital.


I hope this helps, and if your psych interview happened already, I hope it went well! Feel free to reach out if you'd like me to create a header like the one below for you (I wouldn't mind at all) and feel free to reach out if you have any more questions. I'm happy to help 🙂

 

Sample Header.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 Posts; 76 Profile Views

Thanks for all the help - I will be revising my resume (changing the header), as it makes sense to do so. 

I am a BSN-prepared nurse - so happy I have that going for me. Additionally, I have a decent to strong LinkedIn profile.

The psych interview seem to have went well and now it's just a waiting game. I do have another interview lined up for another psych position. So, things seem to be moving at least.

And, thanks for the invite to reach out - I will definitely do so as needed. I am sure I will have a bunch more questions.

Thanks!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

_Cecilia_ is a BSN, RN and specializes in Pediatrics.

2 Articles; 70 Posts; 1,265 Profile Views

1 hour ago, Passed Nclex - NEW RN said:

Thanks for all the help - I will be revising my resume (changing the header), as it makes sense to do so. 

I am a BSN-prepared nurse - so happy I have that going for me. Additionally, I have a decent to strong LinkedIn profile.

The psych interview seem to have went well and now it's just a waiting game. I do have another interview lined up for another psych position. So, things seem to be moving at least.

And, thanks for the invite to reach out - I will definitely do so as needed. I am sure I will have a bunch more questions.

Thanks!!!!!

It's no problem at all! If you aren't already doing so, don't forget to send a "Thank You for the Interview emails within 24 hours of your interview! 😊 I wish you the best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
×

This site uses cookies. By using this site, you consent to the placement of these cookies. Read our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies to learn more.