License Endorsement question


  • Specializes in Pediatrics.

I currently have my RN, BSN and have been working in Texas for almost 2 years. My husband and I plan on moving this summer though, and we will be moving to a non-compact state. I understand that I must apply for a license by endorsement in the state we will be moving too, but my question is, when I apply for my license by endorsement, and after it is approved, will my Texas license be null and void essentially? Will I still be able to continue working in Texas until we move? I know it's sort of a long process, so I want to apply early, and a few hospitals I'm looking at applying to require a current license in that state, so I know I'll need to have it when I start applying so my application doesn't get thrown out. I just want to make sure I can still work up until we move. Anybody know anything about this?

JustBeachyNurse, LPN

1 Article; 13,952 Posts

Specializes in Complex pedi to LTC/SA & now a manager. Has 13 years experience.

Your Texas license will convert to a single state ( TX) license from a multi state compact license. It will remain active as long as you renew and compete any required CEUs


48 Posts

Texas has one of the longest processes out there...some states are easier to obtain a license for example Alabama is relatively easy, but Florida and Georgia require fingerprints and a background check which may take a few extra days to process. I'm licensed in all three states that were previously just research where you think you want to be and what they require.