Jump to content

Is Utah license good in California?

ribeiro1 ribeiro1 (New) New

Hello everyone,

I've been taking the prerequisite classes for the RN program in California for the past two years. However, since getting into the RN program here is very competitive, I was thinking about doing the RN program in Utah. After passing the NCLEX-RN examination in Utah, would I be able to move back and work in California?



Cal does not have reciprocity as of yet, so that means you would have to apply to a seperate license in CA as well as Utah. The other thing is you could take the NCLEX in CA and pass the boards there. Its a pain in the butt to take the NCLEX in another state as there is usually extra paperwork. I used to live in CA but recently moved to MN and had to relicense. Go to the CA board of nursing web site for more information.

On the other hand, it would be a waste of time and money to apply for a Utah license for initial licensure if you have no intention of working there.

You would have to apply for a Utah license, wait until you get it, then begin the endorsement process in CA. Why go through all of that?

When you graduate from the Utah school, you should apply for a CA license for initial licensure. You can still take the NCLEX at a local Utah testing center. NCLEX is a national exam and can be taken anywhere regardless of where you intend to be licensed.

That way you will end up with a CA license much sooner and will not have any red tape or fees to pay to the Utah BNE.

TheCommuter, BSN, RN

Specializes in Case mgmt., rehab, (CRRN), LTC & psych.

Another reason for wanting to obtain initial licensure in California is the fact that endorsement in California is very time-consuming since everything is still processed by hand. It would be better if you apply for initial licensure in California rather than apply for it in Utah.

If you do apply for initial licensure in Utah, it will take forever to get California to endorse your Utah license.

California is actually a walk-thru state as far as endorsements go. You can get issued a temporary license the same day if you go to Sacramento. Same thing that most of the travel nurses do.

it was interesting to read one of the replies that said that i could apply for a license here in california after graduating in utah. i didn't know i could do that. this nursing stuff is all new to me...

i worked with computers my whole life, and after being laid off i decided to change careers. so i went back to school and have spent the last two years doing the prerequisite classes for the nursing program. now that i'm done taking those classes, i'm applying at schools here in the area (ca) and thought of applying at a school in utah because i have all my ges done there and would be easier for me to go back and finish my bachelors with them. but i don't want to live there afterwards. and before i decide to move to utah i have to make sure i know what i'm doing and if my decision is going to cause me any pain later.

anyway, after i posted this message last night i found the web site for the california board of registered nursing. the only thing their web site said about having a license from another state was this...:

"to qualify for endorsement (reciprocity) into california as a rn, you must hold a current and active license in another state or canada, have completed an educational program meeting all california requirements, and have passed national council licensure examination (nclex-rn) or the state board test pool examination (sbtpe). the canadian comprehensive examination is not acceptable. if you do not possess these qualifications, you do not qualify for licensure by endorsement and must apply to take the examination instead."

i learned that i'd have to apply for a temporary license if i obtained my license in utah. what does that mean? how long would it take for california to give me a permanent license? so if i graduate in utah, how hard would it be for me to take the nclex-rn here instead? what are my odds at passing it if graduating from a school in another state? i'm trying to see what all the options are before i decide to move there.

i can't believe i found this web site last night and had so many people with knowledge reply to my message. thank you, and i'm hoping to hear from you again.

Don't even bother with the "endorsement" section from the CA BNE website.

You have no intention of working as an RN in Utah, so why apply for licensure in that state?

You asked about how hard the NCLEX would be to take in CA if you went to a Utah school. It would make no difference. The NCLEX is the same exam whether you took it at a testing center in Salt Lake City or San Diego.

You also seem worried about how long the entire process will take.

I'll tell you one thing, no matter what time frame you're looking at, it will undoubtedly take a lot longer to get a CA license if you try to do it by endorsing a Utah license (A license that you have no intention of using) instead of just applying for initial licensure in CA in the first place when you get ready to take the NCLEX.

Read up on the "initial licensure" applicants section and forget about the section on "endorsement" applicants. It would make no sense for you to endorse a Utah license unless you intend to work for any period of time as an RN in Utah.

Ok RN34TX. I'll go to school in Utah, but apply for the license in CA when I'm done. It makes more sense after you explained it.Thank you,Ribeiro

Ok RN34TX. I'll go to school in Utah, but apply for the license in CA when I'm done. It makes more sense after you explained it.Thank you,Ribeiro

You really should talk to the board themselves before you make any major plans. They should be able to tell you exactly what needs to be done one way or the other. This is a peculiar situation and, the board's website doesn't always contain the info you need for a major decision like this. I wouldn't want to go to the trouble of moving to another state just to find out the licensing process works differently than the way I thought. Call the board to be sure you know how the process works before you do anything.



It really isn't any different than going for initial licnesure in any other state after graduation. The student just goes the route of License by Examination, instead of endorsement. Same procedure in all states.

Being trained in another state will make it hard for the Utah grad to get hired with an interim permit, most facilities want to see the actual NCLEX passing, that is the only route that I would follow.

This topic is now closed to further replies.

By using the site you agree to our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies.