Jump to content

Is it normal to feel this way?

Specializes in CCRN, Geriatrics.

Hello everyone,

I am a brand new nurse with a little over a year of experience. I just obtained my BSN this year and I am extremely grateful for all of my accomplishments. However, I am a bit dreadful about how nursing is going for me. I started working my first nursing job per diem because the job did not have any full-time openings. Along with me and 4 other new nurse graduates, strange enough this rehabilitation hospital hired new grads per diem to save money all the time. I also managed to land a job at a longterm care facility but the position was also per diem so I figured both jobs will equal up to a full time position. I have worked both jobs for over a year. I know some of you are wondering why I did not go to the hospital as a new graduate. In fact, I applied to all of the hospitals in my area. I interview for a nurse residency but because I did not have a BSN and was not enrolled in a RN to BSN program they chose to find another nurse for the position. Now that I have a year of experience I am ineligible to go into a residency program.

I am depressed wondering if I will ever land the right job. Covid19 has impacted my per diem jobs tremendously resulting in me being canceled and without work for weeks at a time. I’ve never worked in such an unstable way. Before nursing I worked at a assisted living for 9 years, prior to that I worked 5 years in home health.

I recently took on a home health nurse position full-time because I am in desperate need of work. But is not as fulfilling as I would like for it to be. Im doing a lot of traveling even in inclement weather. And I'm not sure if this would hinder my chances of getting into a hospital even more. I would like to be in a continuous learning environment and I would like exposure to more clinical nursing responsibilities. Im starting to wonder if nursing is the right career for me.

Chickenlady, ADN

Has 6 years experience. Specializes in ER, GI, Occ Health.

Not sure what you are asking.....I guess it is normal to feel discouraged in the situation you describe.

I think you need a solid year in a full time nursing position and then, depending on local circumstances, a hospital may hire you. Considering Covid, I think you should stick it out in home care for a year to get a track record and then look for a position that more closely fits your desires.

Lovethenurse2b25, ASN, BSN, RN

Specializes in CCRN, Geriatrics.

19 minutes ago, Chickenlady said:

Not sure what you are asking.....I guess it is normal to feel discouraged in the situation you describe.

I think you need a solid year in a full time nursing position and then, depending on local circumstances, a hospital may hire you. Considering Covid, I think you should stick it out in home care for a year to get a track record and then look for a position that more closely fits your desires.

Im sorry I was so caught up in my rant and yes I am discouraged. Especially considering how many nurses want to get out of the hospital and I am begging to get in. I also hate to have to start over, I loved the my job at the rehabilitation hospital it was 12 hours which is much more convenient for me considering I have a soon to be kindergartner. But the facility is unable to maintain a normal census due to a delay in elective surgeries related to covid. With the home health position I work from the hours of 8 to 5pm. I don't know how I’ll manage working and having a child home all day for remote learning. But I guess work is better than no work at all. Thanks for the advice.

RNperdiem, RN

Has 14 years experience.

Is it normal to be disappointed that the job situation didn't work out as well as you would have liked? Of course it is. Accept to that dealing with income insecurity adds another layer of stess.

Despite all this and dealing with childcare issues, you still find something to be grateful for.

EDNURSE20, BSN

Has 3 years experience. Specializes in ED, med-surg, peri op.

I think most people are in the same boat. Most people are disappointed in life/work/canceled plans due to Covid. It’s OK to be angry about it.
but you managed to find work and have an income; I think that’s more important than job satisfaction right now. Give it time. You will get there. Plus Home health is way better on future job applications than unemployment.

Lovethenurse2b25, ASN, BSN, RN

Specializes in CCRN, Geriatrics.

1 hour ago, EDNURSE20 said:

I think most people are in the same boat. Most people are disappointed in life/work/canceled plans due to Covid. It’s OK to be angry about it.
but you managed to find work and have an income; I think that’s more important than job satisfaction right now. Give it time. You will get there. Plus Home health is way better on future job applications than unemployment.

Yes, many are in my situation. But not many jobs are understanding. I hope so, and honestly I hate to have to leave suddenly due to childcare issues. Im wondering if it would have been better for me to go part-time. Prior to me excepting the job offer the school stated learning would take place in the classroom 4 out of 5 days of the week. So I assumed I would be able to work but just yesterday they stated only 2 days of in class for 3 hours. This company is a major hospital organization in my area that I’ve been trying to get into for years. I don’t want to leave a bad impression. Im praying everything works out for my sake.

3 hours ago, RNperdiem said:

Is it normal to be disappointed that the job situation didn't work out as well as you would have liked? Of course it is. Accept to that dealing with income insecurity adds another layer of stess.

Despite all this and dealing with childcare issues, you still find something to be grateful for.

Yes, I constantly remind myself that I have a lot to be grateful for.

×

By using the site you agree to our Privacy, Cookies, and Terms of Service Policies.

OK