How to get RN degree from different country?

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing



I am needing advice on how to select an RN program from a different country. I am currently in Pre Nursing courses right now and took a CNA course (but did not take the test since I am moving).

Originally, I was planning on staying at my college and continue to their nursing program, however, my husband is in the military and has received orders for Germany. We will be there 4 years and I do not want all of my classes to go to waste and would like to be an RN within the next couple of years.

I tried asking my advisor and the head Nursing program director but they could not help me and did not know anything about other programs. I have also talked to some acquaintances and they said the University of Maryland had some out of country students taking online courses. As well as Southern New Hampshire University has an online program for Nursing and the acquaintances son received his degree and is now a working Nurse for a hospital. However, when I looked at these sites and requested info, they said the only programs are RN-BSN and are for licensed Nurses only.

I am stuck on where to look and how to find a flexible program that I can do either in person in Germany or some of it online and maybe fly back for clinicals or something.

Oh and I do have a degree in a completely different field. Not sure if that is relevant or could help in some way.

Any advice and any one in a similar situation??

Thank you so much!

The most logical course would be to live separately for some time while you complete your program. If you're willing to fly to do clinicals, why not just fly home on school breaks?

Specializes in mental health / psychiatic nursing.

I inquired about getting a BSN in Canada (I have family there) and was told that unless I was a Citizen or Permanent Resident of the country I would not be admitted to nursing school (because they want you to graduate and be employable in that country rather than have you immediately leave for back home). My guess is that Germany is likely to be similar.

You will need to look into the educational and licensing requirements of an RN in Germany. My guess is that at a minimum you'll need to prove fluency in German and residency + work/school visa status. You'll also want to see if a German RN education and license would transfer back to the U.S. otherwise even if you are some how able to get the degree it may not actually help you when you return to the U.S.

It may make more sense to try for an ABSN program here in the U.S. - it would be full-time and you wouldn't be able to move to Germany right away, but you'd be out with your RN in 12-15months and then potentially employable on-base in Germany to rejoin your husband.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

You want to get your education in the country you intend to practice in.

There are American Universities in Europe. There are also American hospitals in Europe that hire English speaking, American nurses with American nursing licenses. I don't know what degrees the Universities offer, or don't ...and I've heard the hospital jobs are extremely competitive.

Specializes in Emergency / Disaster.

I second the above to stay in the US until you have completed your education. Since you already have a degree look into ABSN programs. My program is 16 months long. I had to have certain pre-reqs as well as 61 hours of general studies (that they mandated in certain categories). As a military spouse spending a short amount of time here to finish school, will certainly benefit you in the future and you will most likely be able to work in the hospitals on the bases in the other countries you are stationed in (applying with that spouse designation always helps). In the long run it will benefit you. I know that it sucks to be away from your spouse (former military wife here) but think long term... long term this is the best decision for you.

+ Add a Comment