Help with Reinserting G-Tubes

Specialties Geriatric


Can anyone give me some pointers on how to reinsert a new Gtube after the resident pulled theirs out? I have never had to deal with this, but I would like to be prepared. I searched Youtube for a procedure video, but I couldn't find one. Thank you.


52 Posts

Call the doctor! Unless it is an NG I believe this is out.of your scope.

Kitiger, RN

1,828 Posts

Specializes in Private Duty Pediatrics.

Private duty nurses reinsert Mickeys and other similar GTs. The instructions are on the package. If it is not covered in your procedure manual, talk to your supervisor.

CoffeeRTC, BSN, RN

3,734 Posts

After you check the policy and procedure manual and get the go ahead, the biggest thing to remember is that they need to be replaced asap or stat. Many moons ago when it was common to use a foley for a g tube and we were able to replace them in house. These might have been used on the dementia residents that pulled at everything under the sun. At that time, we used a betadine scrub, lubed up the tube and inserted it. Wait too long and you were meeting resistance. We would follow up with checking placement and getting an xray.


38,333 Posts

I remember the first one I had to reinsert. Middle of the night at a home care case. I read the instructions on the box, or whatever it came in, followed them. Voila. I was nervous for no real reason. Charting the procedure took more thought and effort.

Specializes in Med-Surg, Developmental Disorders.

@CoffeeRTC, BSN Right! I had heard if you wait too long, the stoma could close up. I'm not exactly sure what the window is, though. I suppose it depends on how long the resident had the Gtube before they pulled it.

Specializes in Med-Surg, Developmental Disorders.

@Caliotter3, do you remember if it was a Mickey button or a traditional Gtube?

ComeTogether, LPN

1 Article; 2,172 Posts

Specializes in Transitional Nursing.

Sometimes the MD will have you place a foley in the (orifice?) until the pt can be scheduled for surgery and/or place an NG tube in the mean time, but either way you have to call the MD and get orders.

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in

Sign In

By using the site, you agree with our Policies. X