Jump to content

Greek Heath Visitor in Ontario, Canada Heeeelp!



i am so excited i found this forum and i hope that i will get lots ofinformation.

recently i moved back to toronto and i am looking how to get licensed and workin my profession. i have a greek bachelorette degree of a health visitor. tothose who are not familiar with this term i must say that i am recognized ingreece as a registered home health care nurse. here is also a useful link:http://www.healthvisitors.com/hv/25/508

a few days ago i came in contact with the college of nurses of ontario whereevery nurse must be registered and after i made my questions they said me thatthey are not familiar with the term of "health visitor" and that ihave to do a credential evaluation assessment in order to find out if thecourses i had are similar and enough to become a registered nurse.

my question though is if i have to do this assessment or if it's not useful cause i won't ever be considered as aregistered nurse? the fees that i have to pay are a lot and i do not want to dothat without at least earn a few credits and have some more courses in order tobecome a registered nurse.

some of the courses i had are pediatrics, anatomy, physiology, microbiology,surgery, pharmacology, orthopedics, nursing, oncology and many others!!!

i must mention that i am a canadian citizen!

waiting for your answers, please help me!

kind regards!

loriangel14, RN

Specializes in Acute Care, Rehab, Palliative.

You will have to go through the process if you want to apply for a nursing license.The only ones that can tell you if you meet the requirements is the college.

NotReady4PrimeTime, RN

Specializes in NICU, PICU, PCVICU and peds oncology. Has 25 years experience.

Loriangel14 is correct. The only way to know if you are eligible for registration anywhere in Canada is to undergo a credentials assessment. And in most provinces you're probably also going to need a substantially-equivalent competence assessment. Yes. there are fees attached, which is only fair. And being a Canadian citizen means very little when your education isn't from a Canadian school, because in the professions, education is what matters.

Thank you both for the quick responce! I am just wondering if the title of my degree is a problem cause there is no "nurse" word on it! At the application though i got from CNO there is an option where you can fill in the name of your title! So i am wondering if there are professions around the world like mine for example that Canada recognizes them as nurse professions???

Its weird that here in Ontario they are not familiar with the Health Visitor term cause in UK Health Visitors are so widespead!!! I will try to add the same Topic at the UK nurses category in case they know more!

Silverdragon102, BSN

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC. Has 32 years experience.

As I posted in your other thread UK Health visitors are RN with further courses/training. I haven't seen anything like HV here in Canada,

that actually doesn't help me a lot! i am wondering though if the CNO can't recognize fully my degree are they going to give me some credits for the studies i had so i can get some more courses and either become RN or RPN or PSW?

loriangel14, RN

Specializes in Acute Care, Rehab, Palliative.

They are the only ones that can answer that question.You will have to wait and find out after your assessment.