Help with Reinserting G-Tubes

  1. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to reinsert a new Gtube after the resident pulled theirs out? I have never had to deal with this, but I would like to be prepared. I searched Youtube for a procedure video, but I couldn't find one. Thank you.
  2. Visit sideshowstarlet profile page

    About sideshowstarlet, BSN, RN

    Joined: Jan '14; Posts: 64; Likes: 106
    from US
    Specialty: 4 year(s) of experience in LTC, Med-Surg, Geriatrics


  3. by   oncivrn
    Call the doctor! Unless it is an NG I believe this is out.of your scope.
  4. by   Kitiger
    Private duty nurses reinsert Mickeys and other similar GTs. The instructions are on the package. If it is not covered in your procedure manual, talk to your supervisor.
  5. by   CoffeeRTC
    After you check the policy and procedure manual and get the go ahead, the biggest thing to remember is that they need to be replaced asap or stat. Many moons ago when it was common to use a foley for a g tube and we were able to replace them in house. These might have been used on the dementia residents that pulled at everything under the sun. At that time, we used a betadine scrub, lubed up the tube and inserted it. Wait too long and you were meeting resistance. We would follow up with checking placement and getting an xray.
  6. by   caliotter3
    I remember the first one I had to reinsert. Middle of the night at a home care case. I read the instructions on the box, or whatever it came in, followed them. Voila. I was nervous for no real reason. Charting the procedure took more thought and effort.
  7. by   sideshowstarlet
    @CoffeeRTC, BSN Right! I had heard if you wait too long, the stoma could close up. I'm not exactly sure what the window is, though. I suppose it depends on how long the resident had the Gtube before they pulled it.
    Last edit by sideshowstarlet on Aug 20, '16 : Reason: Meant to be a reply
  8. by   sideshowstarlet
    @Caliotter3, do you remember if it was a Mickey button or a traditional Gtube?
  9. by   Glycerine82
    Sometimes the MD will have you place a foley in the (orifice?) until the pt can be scheduled for surgery and/or place an NG tube in the mean time, but either way you have to call the MD and get orders.