Looking for states that issue LPN licenses w/ unfinished RN school.

  1. I was wondering if there was a link on here or if anyone knew which states allowed you to sit for the NCLEX-PN without finishing RN school. I think some states refer to it as LPN equivalency. The only one I know of is NY which lets you get an LPN with 3/4 of RN school. I heard that they aren't offering that anymore. Thanks, I really need some info on this.
  2. Visit intensol profile page

    About intensol

    Joined: Aug '06; Posts: 2


  3. by   APBT mom
    I think Florida does if you completed the first year of RN school. Call the BON to make sure.
  4. by   swee2000
    I believe here in WI you can take your board exam for LPN licensure after you've completed the 1st year of an RN program.
  5. by   kmn360
    I think you can do the same thing in AZ
  6. by   Achoo!
    Yes, WI lets you sit after the first year of a 2 year program.
  7. by   summersent
    Do you have be in a 2 year RN program from that state that allows one to sit for the NCLEX-PN? Can you be from out of state in another 2 year RN program and take the NCLEX-PN exam in the state that allows one to sit for the exam?

    hope I'm not confusing....
  8. by   intensol
    Quote from Achoo!
    Yes, WI lets you sit after the first year of a 2 year program.
    Thanks. I'm looking at the WI website but I can't find any information on that. Maybe I'm missing it. http://drl.wi.gov/prof/lpn/form.htm
    Could you help me find where it gives you that option? I have one year finished but the funny thing about my school is that they leave the peds class for last, so I don't know if I would be able to sit for the test w/o that class completed.
  9. by   Daytonite
    It depends on the state you live in and are trying to get your LPN license in and your circumstances. What you are referring to is "educational equivalency". In many cases you cannot be a active RN student in an RN program to do this as most deans of RN programs won't give you the letter you need that has to go to the state board of nursing to verify that you completed the educational requirements. Many people who were trained as corpsmen/women in the military get their LPN licenses this way after they are discharged from their military service. How you find this information is to go to the individual state board sites and open up the links for the license applications to take the NCLEX-PN exam. The specific requirements for educational equivalency are usually listed in the directions for filling out the license applications. Most states still allow this. Be aware, however, that getting a license in one state by this method is no guarantee that if you move to another state that you will be able to get endorsement of the license to another state.
  10. by   MA2006
    I would really like to know as well...