1. I know i should know this, but does it?
  2. Visit dreatx profile page

    About dreatx

    Joined: Nov '04; Posts: 51


  3. by   EricJRN
    Yes. BCLS is the class where they teach you CPR, Heimlich, stroke/heart attack symptoms, etc.

    I'll have to check my card, but if I remember correctly, AHA is now just calling it BLS for Healthcare Providers.
  4. by   dreatx
    TY, Sir.

    Applying for ER tech job or something since I just finished the EMT-B course.
    Last edit by dreatx on Dec 19, '06 : Reason: add more for clarity
  5. by   Megsd
    I got a BLS for Healthcare Providers card and I went over adult, child, and infant CPR and foreign airway obstruction, how to use a bag-valve mask, and how to use AEDs. They didn't cover anything about stroke or specific symptoms, just what to do if someone is unresponsive or choking. I don't know if that's different from BCLS (basic cardiac life support).
  6. by   JBudd
    American Heart has two levels: Basic Life Support for lay people (Heartsavers), and BLS for Health Care Providers.

    Heartsavers does not teach how to search for a pulse, only for "signs of life", and not quite as much on the infant/child. Also, not as heavily into the bag-valve-mask, since most lay folk wouldn't have access to that. Also, does not stress two person CPR anymore. Does teach AEDs. Also covers choking and stroke symptoms.

    BLS for Health Care Providers does want you to do the pulse check, and the BMV breathing, as well as simple mask. It does have 2 person CPR, and the switch overs. It is the one you need to take ACLS. I think the reason they don't include stroke here (well at least in the recert class), is that as a HCP you should already have some knowledge about that that a lay person wouldn't.
    Last edit by JBudd on Dec 21, '06 : Reason: details
  7. by   Daytonite
    I hadn't noticed this thread earlier. Here is another similar thread started yesterday with your answers on it.