My Heart Is In My Throat...Literally - page 5

OK...someone please help me. For the past 2 years I have been getting these weird palpatations, and it feels like my heart is beating in my throat. When it happens, I feel very lightheaded, like I... Read More

  1. by   Flo1216
    I get it intermittently. This is recently though. In the past month. THAT freaked me out. I remember once when I was about 13 I woke up in the middle of the night with the worst chest pain. I was crying. I thought I was going to die. I told my mom and she was like, " Go back to bed, " I finally cried myself to sleep after hours of no relief and when I woke up my chest was sore. I vividly remember that. The pain I get now is not like that, but it is disturbing. It happens with or without the palpitations.
  2. by   Flo1216 didn't upset me. It's just that I think people are very quick to dismiss a younger persons symptoms as anxiety. We are young and misunderstood....(sigh)
  3. by   Flo1216
    But should I see my regular doctor or a cardiologist? I have a PPO so I don't need a referral or anything. I have never been sick a day in my life so I don't know exactly what to do
  4. by   Stargazer
    I'd see an internist first. There's some endocrine things that should be ruled out before you get too excited about a primary cardiac problem.
  5. by   Flo1216
    If it were my thyroid, wouldn't it be palpable or not necessarily? I had a BMP and CBC in August and everything was normal...would a BMP have indicated an endocrine problem?
  6. by   Stargazer
    Not necessarily. And it could be other things beside thyroid.
  7. by   Flo1216
    Like what?
  8. by   Stargazer
    Flo, I'd be lying if I said I could name everything it might be, and frankly, you can look stuff up on just as well as I can. One example would be a hormone-secreting tumor. But I don't see any point in giving you a laundry list of everything that might be wrong. The point is, you need to get in to see a doc soon. Although cardiologists are sub-specialists of internal med, most specialist do tend to see things through the filter of their area of interest. That's why I think you should go to an internist first, get a general work-up, and then determine whether you need to be referred and to which specific specialty.

    Keep us posted.
  9. by   hoolahan
    Good advice stargazer. I would see the internist first too.
  10. by   SmilingBluEyes
    ya know I am OUTA here. do what you choose----your symptoms are scary but far be it from me to advise where I AM NOT helping. SEEE YA. there are a lot of attention-grabbing threads here lately i am moving on.
  11. by   baseline'll either get dead or better. You've had good advice. Choice is yours. Good luck.
  12. by   Flo1216
    Geez....I said I will go to the doctor!!!!
  13. by   Flo1216
    If I wasn't sick before, I am now. I just ate enough sushi to fill a whale. Plus appetizers, bread and 2 white russians. I think I am gonna explode. For the record, I do appreciate the advice and based on the advice, I have decided to go to my doctor. I just wanted feedback from people to see if you all felt my concern was warranted. Thanks to everyone! I'll let you know what happens.