Just out of curiosity....

  1. i was just wondering if i moved to the US and worked what i would be classified as. You guys have LPNs, CNAs etc and RN's. I have sort of worked out what these roles are. But then you have BSN, MSN which i have no idea about...

    I have done a three year university degree as an RN here. I supervise EN's (enrolled nurses). I am currently undertaking a graduate diploma in perioperative nursing science......

    Any ideas? I'm thinking BSN but not really sure...
  2. Visit Scrubby profile page

    About Scrubby

    Joined: Oct '07; Posts: 1,390; Likes: 2,125
    Clinical Nurse; from AU
    Specialty: 6 year(s) of experience in Operating Room Nursing


  3. by   Okami_CCRN
    wow kinda far ms. Australia. Well you would have to try and transfer your licensure/degrees to the state you would be moving in. You might also have to take a nursing exam called NCLEX.

    A BSN is a nurse who has graduated from a four year univerisity with a Bachelors of Science in Nursing

    A MSn is a nurse who has a Master's degree in nursing

    A NP is a clinical specialist in a variety of areas such as ICU, Geriatrics, etc

    I hope this helped a little bit
  4. by   Virgo_RN
    An LPN is a nurse who has completed a one year certification program and has passed the NCLEX-PN.

    An RN can be either a graduate of an Associate's degree program, or a Bachelor's program. An Associate's degree is typically a two year vocational degree from a community college, while a Bachelor's is typically a four year degree from a four year college. I say "typically" because there are exceptions. Both students can sit for the same licensure exam; the NCLEX-RN.

    An advantage of having a Bachelor's is that some facilities pay nurses more if they have a BSN than if they have an ADN. Many facilities prefer to hire RNs with a BSN, and some job opportunities are only open to the RN with the BSN.

    An MSN is a Master's degree in nursing. A nurse holding a Master's can be a Clinical Nurse Specialist, a Nurse Practitioner, and many other things that I'm not thinking of right off hand because I'm getting sleepy.

    I'm not really sure where you would fit since I'm unfamiliar with the Australian university system. At any rate, you could sit for the NCLEX-RN; or do they have some sort of international license transfer system? My ignorance on this topic is vast.
    Last edit by Virgo_RN on Jan 4, '08
  5. by   loaparker
    G'day Scrubby-
    I have also been trained in Australia as an RN and am just in the process of taking the NCLEX. I want to stay in OZ, but just making sure all my bases are covered if I ever have to move back to the states (I am American). We basically fall in the middle. In all my digging I have found out that some hospitals/states may not recognize us as BSN's because our degree is BNurse-- there is a way around it (long way>>>). The University of Phoenix accepts our degree as a BSN enabling us to enroll (can do it distance learning) in the MSN program. Once you have the MSN, nobody asks if you have a BSN.
  6. by   Ms Kylee
    There is also Diploma School, which is usually a hospital based program.
    You can sit for the NCLEX RN after successfully completing this program.
    I like this program because you get more clinical experience than ADN and BSN programs.
  7. by   TheCommuter
    Quote from Scrubby
    i was just wondering if i moved to the US and worked what i would be classified as.
    Unless you have a baccalaureate degree (BSN), you won't be classified as anything. The US issues visas to foreign nurses only if they are educated at least at the BSN level. Foreign-educated LPNs, 'enrolled nurses,' and diploma nurses are not permitted to work here as nurses.
  8. by   Scrubby
    The degree i have is a bachelor of nursing...so does that equate to a BSN?
  9. by   TheCommuter
    Quote from Scrubby
    The degree i have is a bachelor of nursing...so does that equate to a BSN?
    Yes, it does.