Being on the other side... - page 3

Jadednurse inspired me to start this thread. I don't know if it's been done already-if so I'm sure someone will inform me. She recently had been hospitalized for gallstones and said it was... Read More

  1. by   LaVorneRN
    Originally posted by regnursein99
    Yeah.....what do you guys think: is it worse being a nurse and knowing what is going on (and what is ahead)? Or is it better?
    It's a catch22. In a way, to me, I'd rather know what's coming and what to expect. When I woke up inthe ICU and couldn't talk and felt something in my mouth and throat I didn't panic. I knew I was intubated. It was like I couldn't talk and was doped up but inside myself I was clear and knew what was going on around me. I felt for an IV and felt my upper chest and realized I had a central line. It took away some fears I may have had as a layman, so to speak, because I then began to understand the seriousness of what was going on. My mother, a CNA and unit secretary for over 20 years, was there by my side so I was able to relax for the most part. I knew she and my sisters would be there 24/7 and would be all over everything as much as they could. Eventually they had to go back to Houston and we were in San Antonio alone except for weekends. Also you sometimes get treated like a family member when they find out you're a nurse.
    Then again some treat you like "don't expect special treatment" or as if they don't have to explain anything to you cause you should know it all.

    I hope if nothing else this thread gives anyone who has never been a patient some perspectives to look at and think about when they give care to anyone, not just nurses.
    Much love and all stories are appreciated!
  2. by   FIREFLY89
    WOW O WOW!!! Y'all have had some MISERABLE experiences. And you survived and thrived! in spite of shoddy care! I have had
    blessedly different experiences-one was post car wreck-car was totalled, I was 4hrs from home,wound up on the neuro unit because they were afraid of head injuries and I needed to be monitored because I had a shattered sternum.The nurse that admitted me was ticked and kept telling me that she hated to do admissions-and then refused to give me pain med because the MD had not clearly written the order and since it was after midnite she couldn't call MD w/o clearing it with the super-that was insane-frankly i wanted to punch her in the chest! Day shift nurse came on and said I couldn't have any meds because I'd had pain meds during the nite-excuse me-last dose of pain med was around 1800 in the ER-and I told her so-and told her what the night nurse had said-after that and us chatting about what was screwed up on my adm.assessment I got pain rx regularly that day. I was sent home 3 days later laying down and on bedrest for 6wks-great when you live alone and have no income other than your job-the silver lining was that my rent was paid by friends and friends brought food and did stuff for me.I upped my calcium on advise of my MD and was back to work in 3months. I was recently hospitalized for major elective surgery-I thought I'd be up visiting and walking the halls the next day-WRONG WRONG WRONG-Unfortunately I was a horrible patient-had I been my nurse I would have slapped me silly-I whimpered,I cried and the last night I was there I distinctly remember fussing at the RT who tried to put a CPAP on me-i pushed her away. Except for an aide
    I was treated with dignity and gentleness and respect-I was lucky
    I got more than I probably deserved but I learned from it too. Those nurses were my heros-esp.the one who took the time to understand my fears and tears and gave me a backrub-I slept that whole nite. I am in a position now to observe nurses in action-I am a casemanager-I would be a pt on my units in a heartbeat-this staff overall is kind,knowledgable and tries very hard to please-and answer lights rapidly-even on the weekends. However if I were to be admitted to my hospital there is definitely one unit that-well let's just say I wouldn't want my worst enemy to be on that floor! and it's gotten better! The bottom line question is-how can we as staff effect change so that miserable experiences are the rarity and not the norm?? Just a question..........
  3. by   redhd5
    Yikes.. I had a baby in January, and had to be induced. I was put in a hospital room and left there. No one came in to check on me unless I called with the call light. I begged for an epidural after being in hard, fast labor for two hours. The nurse didn't even bother to do a cervical check. She didn't even call the NP. She waited until I got my husband to be nasty. Then, I got a shot of Dilaudid which lasted a whole hour and a half. When it wore off I was still in hard, fast labor. Contractions were 15 seconds apart through the whole labor. I asked for the NP to be called. She waited. Didn't check my cervix, either. Finally, they called the anesthesiologiest to start the epidural. They gave me a shot of Dilaudid again. As the anesthesiologist got ready for me (it took him a half hour or so to get there) the nurse tried to sit me up to expose my back. Out popped the baby's head. Too late. This hospital is famous for this. Census was low, as I had already asked about that upon admission.
    Aftercare--I asked for Motrin (I had a tubal) for pain. I told the nurse to please bring it at a specified time and I gave her an hour's notice, knowing full well that she would be busy. I had a student nurse who wasn't allowed to give meds. She apologized because my nurse went on break and forgot to medicate me. My Motrin was over an hour late. This kept happening. I was so mad.
    I don't even get breaks where I work. I complained to my doctor about it. Come to find out, when the nurse had called her when I was in labor, she didn't give enough information. She neglected to tell the doctor that I was in active labor. The doctor came and apologized to me in my room. I couldn't believe it! This is an OB unit! This hospital touts about how well they manage pain! I filled out the hospital survey and they never got ahold of me.
    I complained to the medical director where I work--he is affiliated with the same hospital. He shrugged and said I should have picked a different hospital. I would have, except the other hospital in town is Catholic and won't do tubal ligation.
    Needless to say, I do lots of patient teaching these days. And I know it is against hospital policy, but I will be the patient with Tylenol in my purse if I am ever admitted again. What lousy service. If that was me at my job, I would have been fired!
  4. by   JWRN
    I did not have a bad experience. Had surgery last Sept. Gave my brother a kidney. I was only in the hospital for 2.5 days, in on Monday very early...discharged Wednesday at lunch... Had very good nursing care. Though not every nurse did a complete assessment on me. Which was fine by me...My night shift nurse let me sleep....Lab did come in around 0500 on Tuesday morning...It was kind of weird...waiting in the holding to my brother, they took him in first to get lines , etc in him.....They wheeled me back to OR, I got on the table, helped the CRNA hook the electrodes...she said I'm going to give you some Fentanyl, i asked how much, she said 50 mcg, I said ok. then the mask was over my face, then I woke up in PACU in a whole lot of pain....gave me some morphine, and I was out. In the PACU I remember thinking what are this things in my arms, and why does my (you know what) feel funny. It only took a couple of seconds, I was like its the IVs in my arms (had 2- 16 gauges, have huge veins) and of course the foley, thats why my ----- felt funny....THen I woke up in my room, very nauseated, kept telling my mother (who is an RN also) I don't want to vomit, it will hurt my incision. think I said it about a dozen nurse was very good, she had me smell alcohol pad, while they got the phenergan piggy back...gave me the phenergan and I was out until about 9pm Monday, then got up and walked down the hall with the CNA...I remember the foley burning really bad, but I got used to it by the next day....Ate regular food the next day....walked up to see my day was Wednesday, was discharged at about lunch time...Anyhow I really did not have that bad of an experience being on the other side....I will say when they D/Ced the foley it BURNED REALLY BAD!!!!then for the first couple of times I urinated it burnt also......But all in all I did not have any problems with the care I recieved. Everyone was really nice to me, I don't know if it was because I am a nurse as is my mom and my sister-in-law who is married to the broher I gave the kidney to....Wasn't too bad of an experience.......
  5. by   nursenatalie
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by redhd5
    ... Contractions were 15 seconds apart through the whole labor. I asked for the NP to be called. She waited. Didn't check my cervix, either. Finally, they called the anesthesiologiest to start the epidural. They gave me a shot of Dilaudid again....

    sounds like they were also neglecting safety issues, since you were being induced sounds like the pit should have been turned off, Im sure you meant there were only 15 seconds b/t contractions but sounds excessive and dangerous...glad you and baby survived...experiences like that make you re-evaluate the impact you have on your patients...sorry you and all the others experienced such bad care
  6. by   Streamlined
    Let me say how sorry I am for the bad experiences you good people have endured and I wish for your continued recovery. I'd like to balance things out with a good experience I had at Marin General Hospital (hope it's OK to name names here) when I had an elective hyster. It wasn't exactly a picnic, what with the intractable post-op vomitting and all, but I felt that my caregivers all tried to be kind and helpful. I don't think they knew I was a nurse; if they did, they didn't allude to it, they just treated me really respectfully. Even the man who emptied the laundry hamper said hello softly at the doorway and asked permission to enter my room to do his work. WOW! They kept a bulletin board on my wall that listed the names of each shift's caregivers. WOW! My favorite memory is of the two night shift angels who softly spoke to me in the dark, telling me their names and what they were doing. Being rolled over gently by kind and competent hands so my lungs could be listened to. Having the sheets smoothed and my gown untangled. The offering of a minty toothette and a nice little clump of ice. The reassurance of being told that my vitals were all fine. It was the softness and the gentleness that made me feel so well cared for. I learned in the morning that these two women had been working together on the night shift for 30 years. Can you believe how lucky we are to be able to give such simple things and have the return be so huge?
  7. by   Mimi2RN sounds like you had wonderful care. That's the way it should be, and unfortunately it frequently doesn't happen.

    Did you have a spinal for surgery? Duramorph can leave you with horrible vomiting. Nothing worked for me, even Zofran, when I had a vag hyst. Suddenly, at 5 am the day after surgery, the n/v stopped. I think it was out of my system. After that, I ate and felt much better.