World International

Published

what is the difference between F1 and M1 visa

my friend told me that when I hold M1 visa ,I can't change my status

to F1...is it true? thank you

what is the difference between F1 and M1 visa

my friend told me that when I hold M1 visa ,I can't change my status

to F1...is it true? thank you

M1 is for vocational courses while the F1 is for higher degrees and so if one is already designated as on M1 because of the course then it cannot be changed to F1 because the classification is structural in nature.

Pls see these links for more details:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

http://faq.visapro.com/M1-Visa-FAQ.asp

M1 is for vocational courses while the F1 is for higher degrees and so if one is already designated as on M1 because of the course then it cannot be changed to F1 because the classification is structural in nature.

Pls see these links for more details:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/types/types_1268.html

http://faq.visapro.com/M1-Visa-FAQ.asp

thank you very much...

But I still have a question.Can student,holding a M1 visa,work off-campus?is it easy to have a job?

thank you very much...

But I still have a question.Can student,holding a M1 visa,work off-campus?is it easy to have a job?

Kindly read the links I have provided. Everything about M1 visa is there.

ok.. one quick question, if you have an M1 status and have passed the nclex (and all the licensure by exam processes that comes with it) within the duration of the M1 status, will your application be affected? and then you discontinue the M1 status and pursue the nursing one?

ok.. one quick question, if you have an M1 status and have passed the nclex (and all the licensure by exam processes that comes with it) within the duration of the M1 status, will your application be affected? and then you discontinue the M1 status and pursue the nursing one?

You have me confused. Exactly what application for what is affected?

First of all, how can you even sit for the NCLEX (I'm presuming you are referring to NCLEX-RN) if you haven't even finished the nursing course. And whatever one is in, M1 or F1, once you graduate from it, your status as student ceases to exist, unless you continue to be a student such as upgrading from ADN to BSN or being in OPT.

Your other post says you already passed an application for licensure and you are from PH. That means, you already have a BS in Nursing degree.

Not sure what you want but as far as nursing courses are concern, there is no other way for you to be on M1 (vocational/technical courses only) as far as nursing courses are concern. It would have to be another course unrelated to nursing. The only thing you can do as far as being on a student visa for a nursing course is to go for a MSN because you already have a BSN and that is F1 and not M1.

I wish to take up an unrelated course to nursing so i could further my skills and opportunities. So if I am on an M1 status and my application for licensure by exam is completed and approved, will my 'nursing status' (opportunity for work as a nurse, etc.) be affected?

I wish to take up an unrelated course to nursing so i could further my skills and opportunities. So if I am on an M1 status and my application for licensure by exam is completed and approved, will my 'nursing status' (opportunity for work as a nurse, etc.) be affected?

If it's unrelated to nursing, I don't see why not. However, not all those who apply for an M1 visa or an F1 visa gets approved. There are requirements for it and although financial capability is one of the major considerations, it is not the only thing considered to be given an M1 or an F1 visa. Being on just an M1 visa will have certain disadvantages compared if on F1. For one thing an M1 cannot do an adjustment of status to an immigrant visa or even adjust to a non-immigrant visa if it;s unrelated to the one in the M1 visa. You can read more about it with the links given above plus what and what can't be done if just on M1 visa.

so does it mean i could still get to work as a nurse since you are not allowed to work if your work is related to your studies? just clarifying...

so does it mean i could still get to work as a nurse since you are not allowed to work if your work is related to your studies? just clarifying...

If you are planning to be on M1, it is on the presumption that once you finish the course and you will be going back to your home country as there is no venue for adjustment of status and so would have to undergo the usual immigration process of consular processing or if you have another visa that allows adjustment of status while still in the US, you can do that as well (if not in retrogression) but not in M1 as being on M1 does not allow it as I've previously stated. M1s cannot even adjust to another non-immigrant visa if it's unrelated to what was taken while in M1.

Students adjusting status while in the US you've been hearing about are F1 visas and even them are having problems now trying to stay in the US after graduation as they cannot adjust status now because of retrogression.

If you plan to take a short course and be on M1 and go back home, there is absolutely no problems, in my opinion.

You can only work as a nurse in the US if you've gone through either consular processing or adjustment of status. Being licensed as a US RN is just half the story. It will not allow you to work unless you are already a GC holder or an immigrant. If you are not already a GC holder you need to be petitioned and undergo the immigration process 1st before being able to work.

I hope I've answered what you're looking for. I could not give you much more details than what I've given already as your queries are vague in nature.

Specializes in Oncology/Haemetology/HIV.

It sounds as though the OP is trying to find a loophole to work as a nurse in the US and stay in the US, despite retrogression.

But then I could be wrong.

+ Add a Comment