Any TWU Spring 2006 applicants??

U.S.A. Texas

Published

I'm just wondering if anyone out there has applied for the TWU Spring 2006 class?? Anybody know how many applications they have received? How many they are planning on accepting?

Specializes in trauma ICU,TNCC, NRP, PALS, ACLS.

TWU usually Houston accepts 80 and Dallas accepts 80-100, wish u all the luck

Thanks for replying....I'll just keep my fingers crossed.

TWU usually Houston accepts 80 and Dallas accepts 80-100, wish u all the luck

Still looking for any spring 2006 applicants at the TWU Dallas campus?

I recently applied to TWU for their spring 2006 cycle. I have a 3.7 GPA for their pre-requisites which I obtain from by downloading their excel spreadsheet on their website to calculate my GPA. I know my GPA is not that great but I keep my fingers crossed. :-)

I recently applied to TWU for their spring 2006 cycle. I have a 3.7 GPA for their pre-requisites which I obtain from by downloading their excel spreadsheet on their website to calculate my GPA. I know my GPA is not that great but I keep my fingers crossed. :-)

I haven't been in school for over a decade and I don't plan on returning. But I couldn't help be struck with your comment that a 3.7 GPA is "not that great". Has grade inflation in nursing curriculums become so pronounced that a 3.7 is so-so?

Now days it takes a 4.0 to get into nursing school. Because there r over 900 applications and only about 80 get in. It took me a year to get into nursing school and I had a 3.75. I even applied to about 10 schools (all over Texas). I have friends that have applied 2-4 years and never get into nursing school. So they have decided to change their major to health studies.

(now days it is a blessing to get into nursing school)

Specializes in NICU Level III.
Now days it takes a 4.0 to get into nursing school. Because there r over 900 applications and only about 80 get in. It took me a year to get into nursing school and I had a 3.75. I even applied to about 10 schools (all over Texas). I have friends that have applied 2-4 years and never get into nursing school. So they have decided to change their major to health studies.

(now days it is a blessing to get into nursing school)

Wow, I got in TWU first try w/ a 3.76. Well, I don't think they counted my B in speech cause it wasn't one of their prereqs, but still..3.7 is great!

Wow, I got in TWU first try w/ a 3.76. Well, I don't think they counted my B in speech cause it wasn't one of their prereqs, but still..3.7 is great!

How long ago was that?

I just don't get this. I keep hearing that it is so impossible to get in and even people with 4.0s are rejected etc. etc. I know it's competitive, but is it *really* that bad? I'm wondering for those of you with these numbers, where are you getting them? Are you talking with other students or representatives of the nursing schools themselves?

Are applicants telling each other these things to discourage one another? I'm not accusing anyone here of that, but this is just a little outrageous. I know Texas has no nursing shortage and many applicants to few programs. I also know at least one person who had a high GPA who was rejected, and a good thing too because that person really had very little interest in nursing itself beyond the money. I know TWU is pretty much all GPA, but UT-Houston also asks for the essay and I know some people with GPAs under 3.7 who have gotten in to their program.

So what's the story? Where are you guys getting your info.?

Something else I'm wondering. For those who know people with high GPAs who were not accepted. Had they finished all of their pre-reqs yet, or were they applying with one or two or more classes to go. I know you don't have to be finished with all of them before you apply and I keep wondering if that figures into the decision as competition is so tight.

When you stated how long ago 2004-2005 is the school year when I applied for nursing school. At the school I attend representatives, The dean and the professors that are over the application process, told the students how many applied, how many got into the program and what was the lowest g.p.a. A Matter of fact, my fellow students and I were discussing this issue with our associate professor (that is on the admission board), he told us for Fall 2005 over 1200 applied to the program, 80 were accepted and the lowest g.p.a was 3.7. Before I was accepted people were telling me this information for beneficial reason, not to discourage me. I can not speak for every school, I can only speak about the information and situations that I have endured as a student.

How long ago was that?

I just don't get this. I keep hearing that it is so impossible to get in and even people with 4.0s are rejected etc. etc. I know it's competitive, but is it *really* that bad? I'm wondering for those of you with these numbers, where are you getting them? Are you talking with other students or representatives of the nursing schools themselves?

Are applicants telling each other these things to discourage one another? I'm not accusing anyone here of that, but this is just a little outrageous. I know Texas has no nursing shortage and many applicants to few programs. I also know at least one person who had a high GPA who was rejected, and a good thing too because that person really had very little interest in nursing itself beyond the money. I know TWU is pretty much all GPA, but UT-Houston also asks for the essay and I know some people with GPAs under 3.7 who have gotten in to their program.

So what's the story? Where are you guys getting your info.?

Something else I'm wondering. For those who know people with high GPAs who were not accepted. Had they finished all of their pre-reqs yet, or were they applying with one or two or more classes to go. I know you don't have to be finished with all of them before you apply and I keep wondering if that figures into the decision as competition is so tight.

These stories you keep hearing are absolutely for real.....it is at the point of near impossible for students to get into a nursing school today without a 4.0. I am not telling you this because I want you to be discouraged...just informed.

I was talking with a Dean of Nursing the other day and this is exactly what she said about this topic. "Schools are concerned with 2 things...#1 is too many applicants for teacher ratio and not enough clinical slots (hospitals only allow each school so many students there), #2 is that their NCLEX pass rate." They make sure to accept the highest GPA because it CAN be indicative of NCLEX pass rate....I'm not sure I believe that but that's what the schools think. I hope this helps you.

I am in TWU - Dallas right now. The GPA info is correct. In our last class, we were told the upcoming GPA requirement was a 3.80.

HOWEVER, if you want to go the two year route, Brookhaven College (part of Dallas County Community College) accepts applicants with a 3.0, along with an interview and essay. They changed the requirements because they thought that they were turning away some potential good nurses. I took all of my prerequisites at Brookhaven - and I can honestly say those science classes were as difficult as nursing school classes. You should give them a call and ask to speak with an advisor. Just make sure you speak with a nursing advisor - the ones in the general population advising office didn't help me at all.

Good luck in finding your place. If you really want to be a nurse, you will get there.

+ Add a Comment