Path to CNM

Specialties Ob/Gyn

Published

I am a first year nursing student. I have years of med experience as med asst, ECG tech, and was an apprentice midwife with a CNM and OB/GYN at a birth center. I decided I wanted to be a CNM, not direct entry midwife doing home birth, the reason I'm going to nursing school. My question is what is the most direct route, and is it worth it for me to pursue at my age. I am 46, and I need to work when I get out of nursing school. How does that work out for people, working while getting CNM? I have been going to school for the last three years, I think I am just feeling tired, and the thought of how many more years of school makes me even more tired! It is my calling I believe, I will go on. I just wanted to hear from others on their journey to Midwifery. THere is an ADN to MSN at UCSF in San Francisco that sounds promising! Any suggestions or words of encouragement would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. :)

I highly recommend that you have at least two years experience working in Labor and Delivery before beginning CNM program. Most others that work in the area will go along with what I am saying..............

Just becasue you are closer to my age, don't try to rush things or it will come back to bite you on the butt............there is so much to see and learn by just being in the Delivery Room before thinking about more physcial schooling on top of that...........

I highly recommend that you have at least two years experience working in Labor and Delivery before beginning CNM program. Most others that work in the area will go along with what I am saying..............

Just becasue you are closer to my age, don't try to rush things or it will come back to bite you on the butt............there is so much to see and learn by just being in the Delivery Room before thinking about more physcial schooling on top of that...........

I have to agree. We have CNM students frequently because we have 5 CNM's who deliver with us.

The student midwives who do the best are those who already have L&D experience. The difference between them and the non-nurse student midwives is glaring!!

Get the experience first. It will make your midwifery student experience much smoother and less stressful!

JMHO!

Specializes in trauma ICU,TNCC, NRP, PALS, ACLS.

Question, do patients say they would like a CNM or a MD to deliver there baby? Or which everyone is on duty delivers the baby? Do CNM work at regular hospitals or birthing centers.

I have to agree. We have CNM students frequently because we have 5 CNM's who deliver with us.

The student midwives who do the best are those who already have L&D experience. The difference between them and the non-nurse student midwives is glaring!!

Get the experience first. It will make your midwifery student experience much smoother and less stressful!

JMHO!

Question, do patients say they would like a CNM or a MD to deliver there baby? Or which everyone is on duty delivers the baby? Do CNM work at regular hospitals or birthing centers.

We have one all woman OB group that has 5 CNM's working for them in the practice. A patient can be an MD only patient but most (and they are the biggest group we have) are CNM/MD patients. That means the midwife manages the labor etc. The MD is available if necessary. We nurses work 1:1 in labor as well.

Some hospitals have midwives who work for the hospital. That would, of course, be different.

We have two OB practices: one is an all-woman group with 4 OBs and 4 CNMs; patients can request CNM preference (many do, but there's always an MD available for backup if it get sticky). Occasionally patients request an MD, and that preference is also granted. If a patient and provider really bond, sometimes they will "special" a patient and come in for them when they are not even on call. That practice is really good to their patients. There is another practice lead by a male OB, that has a second OB who is female, and 2 CNMs; this practice does not allow a choice, you get who is on. Most days it is a CNM with an MD backup. Occasionally there is just an MD on. Sometimes they'll "make special arrangements" with a patient for an MD or CNM preference, but sure enough, "something comes up" when the patient comes in, unless it's that providers usual day on call. But I'm venting...

JMHO!

I have to say, I am a nurse who works with students on the L&B floor at a large teaching hospital. I have noticed a difference between non-nurse student midwives and students with experience in L&B, but not a bad one. ALL students have a learing curve and they all make the same basic mistakes. The students with a non-nursing background bring other wonderful skills to our floor, such a different languages, life experiences, and abilities like massage and yoga. I love working with these non-traditional students. I am tired of reading negative posts about these women who decide later in life their calling is Midiwfery. From experience these students make EXCELLENT midwives. Kathy

Thanks for the positive words - I too am a "late in life" decision-maker - I am currently working on ADNtoBSN - I wanted to be a midwife when I graduated high school (30+ yrs ago) - but didn't. Just finished ADN in Dec. I know it is my "calling". I tried being a Doula, but all that did was make my desire more vivid. My concern is whether I wil be able to work. I live in SC. Does anyone know if the are any here? I don't remember seeing or hearing of any through out my 2 yrs in clinicals nor do I know of anyone who had a midwife deliver their baby and I have lived in SC for 12 yrs. I would love to find someone in my area - I'd be willing to "volunteer" my time just for the learning experience. :rolleyes:

Specializes in Maternal - Child Health.
Thanks for the positive words - I too am a "late in life" decision-maker - I am currently working on ADNtoBSN - I wanted to be a midwife when I graduated high school (30+ yrs ago) - but didn't. Just finished ADN in Dec. I know it is my "calling". I tried being a Doula, but all that did was make my desire more vivid. My concern is whether I wil be able to work. I live in SC. Does anyone know if the are any here? I don't remember seeing or hearing of any through out my 2 yrs in clinicals nor do I know of anyone who had a midwife deliver their baby and I have lived in SC for 12 yrs. I would love to find someone in my area - I'd be willing to "volunteer" my time just for the learning experience. :rolleyes:

I mentioned in your other thread that my first exposure to CNM's came in Rock Hill, SC. Unless things have changed since I moved, there certainly seemed to be a wide acceptance of APN RNs in OB in the Carolinas and the South, in general. Good luck!

Specializes in OB, lactation.

You can look up midwives here (and get lots of other mw info at the ACNM site too):

http://www.midwife.org/find/

This is what came up when I put in "SC":

1. Drs Williamson & Gillespie PA, (803) 531-2300, 1175 Cook Road Ste. 145, Orangeburg, SC 29118

2. Lexington Medical Center, (803) 568-6153, 935 W Second St, Swansea, SC 29160

3. Bamberg Nurse Midwifery Svc, (803) 245-5144, PO Box 528, 498 North Street, Bamberg, SC 29003 [Approx]

4. McWethy TMC, (803) 751-3777, Moncrief Army Community Hosp, Ft Jackson, SC 29207 [Approx]

5. Lexington Women's Care, (803) 936-8100, 2728 Sunset Blvd Ste 201, West Columbia, SC 29169

6. Lexington Medical Center, Gilbert, (803) 892-1800, 4080 Augusta Hwy., Gilbert, SC 29054

7. Lexington Med Cntr. Batesburg-Leesville, (803) 532-1580, 338 E. Columbia Ave., Batesburg-Leesville, SC 29070

8. Palmetto Women's Health Care, PA, (803) 775-0062, 415 N Salem St, Sumter, SC 29150

9. Santee Cooper OB/GYN Assoc, PA, (803) 433-7262, 1014 Professional Ct, Manning, SC 29102 [Approx]

10. Palmetto Women's Health Care, PA, (803) 433-0797, 21 Hospital St, Manning, SC 29102

Good luck!

+ Add a Comment