Would you recommend nursing to your daughter?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

My daughter is 17 and graduating this spring and plans on going to college this fall. She has expressed a desire to go into nursing but I really have a problem encouraging her to do this. I don't know if it is just the mother in me that wants her to go on to something else or if I just don't want to see her emptying bedpans and taking the crap we have to. She is so young and shy I am afraid she will be eaten alive. AM I being to overprotective or should I be more supportive and encourage her even if I think it is a mistake?

No, I would not.

no i have an dd who is a rn and the other dd and two of my sons thought about it after she ws in the profession but i really do not try to encourage them because i know how rough physically and mentally

Specializes in SICU.

Both of my daughters have emphatically stated that they want absolutely nothing to do with anything in the medical field.

That being said, I would NOT have encouraged them had they expressed an interest.

I feel there are more job opportunities for someone w/an RN than any other degree on this planet.

Name any other degree that has the variety of jobs open to someone, she would not have to work the bedside.

please don't make me list the possibilities........they are almost endless.

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

I would recommend nursing if the young woman (or man) were making an informed choice and properly prepared to have a successful career.

Nursing offers many different possible career paths -- different roles, different specialties, different settings, different patient populations, different work schedules, etc. -- as well as good job security and a reasonable (if not stellar) compensation. It's a good career choice for many people.

The key is to treat it as a career and not just a series of jobs. Think long-term and get a good education, preferably an advanced education that will open up a wider variety of options, better working conditions, and better compensation as your career progresses. If a young person were prepared to do that, then I would not hesitate to recommend nursing as a career.

I would recommend nursing if the young woman (or man) were making an informed choice and properly prepared to have a successful career.

Nursing offers many different possible career paths -- different roles, different specialties, different settings, different patient populations, different work schedules, etc. -- as well as good job security and a reasonable (if not stellar) compensation. It's a good career choice for many people.

The key is to treat it as a career and not just a series of jobs. Think long-term and get a good education, preferably an advanced education that will open up a wider variety of options, better working conditions, and better compensation as your career progresses. If a young person were prepared to do that, then I would not hesitate to recommend nursing as a career.

I agree - the nursing world is huge and has so many great choices.

So, yes I would recommend nursing to my children. Actually my daughter has recently said that if acting doesn't pan out, then she is interested in nursing.

I encouraged a young man who graduated last year and was interested in nursing to give it a try. He decided on his own to take a CNA class and now is at a university going for his BSN.

Nursing is a mix of bad, good, mediocre, fantastic, wonderful, exciting, heartwarming . . . .you just have to find your niche.

steph

My daughter is 17 and graduating this spring and plans on going to college this fall. She has expressed a desire to go into nursing but I really have a problem encouraging her to do this. I don't know if it is just the mother in me that wants her to go on to something else or if I just don't want to see her emptying bedpans and taking the crap we have to. She is so young and shy I am afraid she will be eaten alive. AM I being to overprotective or should I be more supportive and encourage her even if I think it is a mistake?

burn out - wouldn't your daughter be "young and shy" in whatever career field she chose? And wouldn't she have to learn to stand up for herself, regardless?

It was hard for me to let my daughter continue to plan for a career in acting - that is such a hard field and the rejection is almost guaranteed. But she loves acting and I am going to support her.

Good luck - I have a 17 year old too . .. however, shy she is not . . I kinda wish she was. ;)

steph

Yes I would, if that's what she truly wants to do. She does, and I support her in this.

burn out - wouldn't your daughter be "young and shy" in whatever career field she chose? And wouldn't she have to learn to stand up for herself, regardless?

It was hard for me to let my daughter continue to plan for a career in acting - that is such a hard field and the rejection is almost guaranteed. But she loves acting and I am going to support her.

Good luck - I have a 17 year old too . .. however, shy she is not . . I kinda wish she was. ;)

steph

Yes you are right . I just can't think of any other profession known to eat their young though. I really feel as a good mother I should support her decisons whatever they are and let her learn by her own mistakes if it really is one. Being a parent sure doesn't get easier.

No!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm hoping my younger daughter does into nursing. I think it's a great career for moms because you can work part time or have a creative schedule, and still be a hands on mom. I think it would suit my younger daughter because she pretty tough. My older daughter wants to be a psychologist or a teacher. She's 12 and I think she'd be good at either of those. She also considers marrying someone with a great career and being a stay at home mom. She's a really neat, thoughtful, and well adjusted girl, but I wouldn't want that particular girl to enter nursing.

+ Add a Comment