Lost Job because of background!!

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hello this is my first post and I need some advice. I recently applied to a

hospital in florida. Everything was going good during the hiring process. The hopital was starting me of at 22.70+1.50 diff from 3pm -7pm, I was suppose to be working a 12 hour 7p-7a shift. I already signed my commitment contract saying I will work at the hospital.

Everything was going good until the results of my background check came in. I was charged with a felony, illegal use of a credit card in 2001 before I started nursing school. Adjudication was witheld so I was never formerly charged and had I to do community service.

The guy in human resources was extremely rude to me today for no reason. He told me my contract was rescinded and I would not be hired due to my court case.

On my application it asked me if I was ever charged with a felony, I checked no because I was never formerly charged.

What do I do? Can anyone give me any advice?

Specializes in critical care transport.
Hello this is my first post and I need some advice. I recently applied to a

hospital in florida. Everything was going good during the hiring process. The hopital was starting me of at 22.70+1.50 diff from 3pm -7pm, I was suppose to be working a 12 hour 7p-7a shift. I already signed my commitment contract saying I will work at the hospital.

Everything was going good until the results of my background check came in. I was charged with a felony, illegal use of a credit card in 2001 before I started nursing school. Adjudication was witheld so I was never formerly charged and had I to do community service.

The guy in human resources was extremely rude to me today for no reason. He told me my contract was rescinded and I would not be hired due to my court case.

On my application it asked me if I was ever charged with a felony, I checked no because I was never formerly charged.

What do I do? Can anyone give me any advice?

How did you get into nursing school? Did they not do a background check with that? I'm sure every nursing school does.

This would be an excellent opportunity for you to explain your "new" lifestyle. You might as well bring it up the next job interview, if nursing has improved your life, given you opportunity, then state that.

I don't know the legalities of it, but I'd be VERY cautious with someone who did that too. Can you see the reservations someone might have hiring you? Can they trust you not to take what is not lawfully yours?

You are just going to have to go "there" on your next interview and explain yourself.

Some of us have had bumpy beginnings into adulthood, but we managed to see the light and be better for it- you might have to prove that you value morality and have high ethical values, and you'd never return to that type of decision making.

Specializes in ICU/PCU/Infusion.

You did community service and stated you were charged with a felony for illegally using a credit card in 2001. Usually when you agree to do community service, it's because you are acknowledging that you owe the debt.. I'm confused by what you said. You either were or were not charged formally.

I think from now on, you'd better check yes to the question and then write down exactly what happened and what the outcome was in the space provided. Hopefully, that'll be enough to overcome anything that comes back! Good luck!! :)

I'm sure you're devastated by your loss of this position. There will be other jobs, just breathe deeply and move on.

:)

Specializes in Pediatrics, Geriatrics, Call Center RN.

Have you looked into getting your record exsponged ( not sure of the spelling). This is a process we have here in KS to clean your record. I would talk to a lawyer.

Thanx for the quick replies. My school did a background check before I started school and advised me I could have problems with employment. I did use the credit card illegay. I found it at a gas station and bought gas with it. But the proscuter said if I paid back the money for gas and various court fees they would drop the charge to adjudication witheld. So when on future job applications would you suggest me to check I was charged with a felony?

Specializes in ICU/PCU/Infusion.

It's only been 5 years since the incident occurred.. I'd suggest going to the courthouse or contacting the attorney who represented you in the matter and finding out exactly what you were charged with and ultimately what your record shows. Obviously you are not clear on what your record contains. Better off to be armed with all the information for your next interview/application!

Could the school provide you with a copy of your background check? Since you discussed the probability of problems in the future with them they might be more inclined to assist you now. I am surprised that they allowed you into the nursing program under their licenses knowing you had this felony on your record though. Definitely check into all your options!

Leslie

Question: Did they rescind the contract because of the felony or was it because you checked "no" on your application? My guess is because you checked "no."

Adjudication basically means the "outcome" of the criminal offense. I'm guessing your felony was not adjudicated pending the completion of your community service, but based on what I am reading, you were "charged" with the felony of illegal use of a credit card and your punishment was to "serve" community service rather than serving time behind bars. You wouldn't have served community service if you were not either guilty or plead guilty (no one does court-ordered community service just for the heck of it).

I'm not sure what to say after the fact. I'm no lawyer, but I assume that if you were arrested, then there were charges filed. I think for future applications, it would be best to be totally honest, even if it means having to write a ten-page detailed explanation as to the circumstances of the crime, what you have done to fulfill the sentence, what you have learned since this happened, how this has changed your life, and how you have taken this experience to better your life and the life of others.

I wish you well in the future, as I believe that no one is without sin. We have all done things in our lives that we may not be proud of...in fact, I've heard several times that the only difference between someone with a criminal record and someone without is the one with the record "got caught." You take your licks, get up, brush yourself off, learn from your mistakes, and try to do better next time.

Specializes in Acute Care Psych, DNP Student.
How did you get into nursing school? Did they not do a background check with that? I'm sure every nursing school does.

This would be an excellent opportunity for you to explain your "new" lifestyle. You might as well bring it up the next job interview, if nursing has improved your life, given you opportunity, then state that.

I don't know the legalities of it, but I'd be VERY cautious with someone who did that too. Can you see the reservations someone might have hiring you? Can they trust you not to take what is not lawfully yours?

You are just going to have to go "there" on your next interview and explain yourself.

Some of us have had bumpy beginnings into adulthood, but we managed to see the light and be better for it- you might have to prove that you value morality and have high ethical values, and you'd never return to that type of decision making.

I'm a bit uncomfortable with the OP being addressed like this. I'm not sure why, because I'm such a goody-two-shoes. I've never even had a speeding ticket, let alone any other sort of trouble with the legal system.

It just seems to me that sometimes we are too harsh with those who have had brushes with the law. How do we expect others to pick themselves up out of bad choices if we constantly kick them down? I know that using someone else's credit card is bad, it makes me wince. But still, all of us could be driven to do bad things that we would never imagine given extreme circumstances.

Anyway, I am sorry I am rambling. To the OP, hold your head high. I think you do need to disclose this to prospective employers. I'd just tell what the charge was matter of factly and explain that it was an abheration regarding your behavior, a mistake that you feel badly about, and you completed your community service. Then I'd launch quickly into your academic achievements, strengths, what you may offer the hospital, etc. Hold your head high. Yes, your charge is a blip on the radar that causes concern, but it doesn't need to define you regarding employment.

:yeahthat:

Using someone's credit card is not a good thing to do. But a felony?? For $50 or so of gas??!! This type of thing angers me. Some assaults/drug busts/pedophiles walk with misdemeanors, but I digress.

Sounds like a momentary lapse in judgement that you will never consider repeating.

Be completely and totally upfront with your prospective employers about your legal history. Then concentrate on the positives. Once you are employed with a flawless record for a few years, I sincerely doubt that your legal history will matter that much anymore.

Good luck to you, and here's to you continuing to make good choices with your future!

Thanx for all the help guys and girls. It's amazing how one mistake in your life can affect you. I filled up my junky honda accord cost me about 25 bucks and its still affecting me 5 years later.

I checked my background on the internet and I have not been charged with a felony. So I can check no on my application. But from now on I will check yes and start explaining.

I went to a 4 year university in florida and they told me there could be problems later on. They accepted me and I grad with honors. I've never been in trouble b4 it was just a lapse in judgement.

Specializes in Acute Care Psych, DNP Student.

I know why this thread hit a nerve with me. I have 3 cousins who have spent time in prison. All were using cocaine or other drugs (non-violent offenses). They spent years in prison and have now been out of prison for at least 10 years each. They have a terrible time getting even the most basic menial jobs. They cannot vote. As convicted felons, they are not allowed to vote. It burns me that they were sent to prison because they battled addiction issues and now cannot get decent jobs or even vote.

Anyway, my heart tugs for you and I wish you well. You'll be ok. Many of us have done things like you did. It's just that you got caught.

If you checked and there is no record of you being charged, I would consult an attorney before checking yes on any applications. I would also question how the first facility found out about it.

+ Add a Comment