concerns & loan questions

Nurses General Nursing

Published

If I put this in the wrong spot, please move.

I am in my 6th year of school. I was an elementary ed major, I got to the last year and the one class that I needed to take to enroll in the student was moved from my campus and I could not enrolled for my last year, which would have been this year. I never thought about being a nurse until I made my baby in January. Just being in the hospital and having the connection that I had with one of nurses made me really think more about it. I took it as a sign that I was to start the path in the nursing field. I will be applying in the spring for the fall class. I am starting to panic about student loans. I so far have about 55k-65k in loans and decided to change majors, am I crazy. I feel like I am. I will have to get loans during the 2 years of nursing school. It is at a CC and since I already have a degree from the school I cannot get fin aid. My loans are through Sallie Mae, tuition answer. It will take 6k for program books, fees, everything. I did call the financial aid office and they did say that I would be able to get some aid once I get into the program but not until then. I think that is the grant s that I got before I was just so happy about being able to get something I forget to ask about it.

How much in loans did you have after getting done when school?

Was it worth it to you? I really want this but the thought of all the loans is making so nervous. I already have the loans and I cannot do anything but pay them. I feel like I will never get done with school.

I am the only one like this.

Piki

154 Posts

It is not true that you can't get financial aid if you already have a degree. I already had a bachelor's and a master's, and I got student loans for my nursing school. Contact your school's financial aid office for more info. What you may be ineligible for is Pell grants (I think).

:welcome:

shoebottom

75 Posts

They told me that I am not eligible for any aid because I'm over my 96 hrs at a CC. They way they explained it to me is that I cannot get anything, loans, grants, scholarships nothing until I get into the program. I will then have to have loans to pay for living expenses. I plan on working for the 1st semester, but quit after that. I just am starting to feel like I will be working for nothing but the student loans. They will take forever to pay off.

justme1972

2,441 Posts

It is not true that you can't get financial aid if you already have a degree. I already had a bachelor's and a master's, and I got student loans for my nursing school. Contact your school's financial aid office for more info. What you may be ineligible for is Pell grants (I think).

:welcome:

I second this. You can't get grants, but you can get loans.

I think for $6K you should go for it.

shoebottom

75 Posts

So I should be able to get the Stanford loans or will they have to be the private ones.

Piki

154 Posts

You should be able to qualify for Stanford loans.

SarasotaRN2b

1,164 Posts

Well, first it is Stafford loans, not Stanford loans. And if you have already borrowed the limit for undergraduate which I believe is $46,000...I don't think you'll be able to get them either.

Kris

Piki

154 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piki viewpost.gif

Well, first it is Stafford loans, not Stanford loans.

:uhoh21: Ok, whatever. Sorry, my bad. :uhoh3: Forgive me for repeating what the OP said.

SarasotaRN2b

1,164 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piki viewpost.gif

Well, first it is Stafford loans, not Stanford loans.

:uhoh21: Ok, whatever. Sorry, my bad. :uhoh3: Forgive me for repeating what the OP said.

:sofahider Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound condescending, I was just pointing something out so that when a student asks for financial aid they won't get a puzzled look in response.

shoebottom

75 Posts

I will look into and make sure. Thanks for correcting me, I didn't notice that was wrote typed.

Ashley

Piki

154 Posts

Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound condescending, I was just pointing something out so that when a student asks for financial aid they won't get a puzzled look in response.
OK, no problem. It just caught me off guard since you quoted my post and not the original OP. ;)
+ Add a Comment