Please Help Me Regarding My Bad Grades!!!/nursing Program

Nursing Students General Students

Published

hello everyone. I'm pre-nursing student who lives in CT. I have major questions that i would like to ask and it is very important for me.

I'm willing to be a nurse so badly.Right now, I have a great job in the hospital and i'm working as CNA. I'm taking classes in community college for nursing programs(pre-req).Next september, i want to get into programs and the application starts in between nov-feb. However, I have several bad grades that holds me up. I took biology and Anatomy&physiology last year, but i got C- for both grades and i'm trying to retake the class this coming up fall 2006. I also have C in my english class, however, i pulled up the grades into B. Do you think if i applied to the nursing programs, would they'll still accept my grades? I'm willing to get good grades on fall semester. I'm so worry that they might not even look at my application. please help me.. I need an advice. I'm almost finish with my pre-req. but those are the only things holds me up.

And one more thing... can someone please tell me the list of nursing programs in CT or NY? just community college...

thank you very much and I want to say good-luck to everyone who works hard for their dream~ don't give up.. and study!!!!!:chair:

It's hard to say but to be honest with you nursing school admission tends to be extremely competitive. There are a lot of people [with excellent grades] who are on 2 year waiting lists.

Also, at my community college A&P isn't a pre-req but you're required to get a 'C' in it to stay in the program. Your overall GPA is very important, as well.

You might want to consider retaking the classes before attempting it. With that said, it depends on the school and they're requirements but I think it's safe to say you'd have a difficult time.

If it's your dream, you'll find a way to do it. Don't give up...just really fight for it.

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

no matter what my opinion is about your grades, it doesn't matter. it only matters to the schools to which you apply. you apparently know the requirements of some schools. you can try to convince them that despite your grades you can still do the required work. i say, apply despite your grades. all they can do is say "no" to you.

here is the other information you requested.

here is the official list of the connecticut state board approved schools of rn nursing

http://www.dph.state.ct.us/public_health_hearing_office/hearing_office/nursing_board/rn%20education%20programs.htm

here is the official list of the connecticut state board approved school of lpn nursing

http://www.dph.state.ct.us/public_health_hearing_office/hearing_office/nursing_board/lpn%20education%20programs.htm

this page will link you into lists of approved schools of rn nursing in ny broken down by types of degrees offered

http://www.op.nysed.gov/nurseprogs.htm

I have to agree with Daytonite...apply....you may be pleasantly surprised.

But retake those courses you have C- in...get those grades up!

Specializes in Float.

really you need to find out the requirements of the programs you are most interested in - as I have seen a lot of variety in admission requirements. For instance, some schools (many) use a points system. You may get points for completing most of the gen ed classes, or your points may be closely tied to your GPA. At my program 80% is based on ACT score, and 20% on GPA. The students with the most points get in.

But some schools use waiting lists and this might be a better bet for you. Basically they have minimum requirements..as long as you meet the minimum requirements you are on the list. So an A student would have the same chance as a C student.

But more importantly - you need to look at what the barriers are to your grades. For instance: are you not studying enough? Do you need to remediate some basic courses? What are your stumbling blocks? I say this because nursing school is very hard - not impossible - but hard. It is a TON of info at a VERY fast pace. That is something to consider if you are already struggling in the gen ed classes. It may be that you need to go through school a little slower... go part time so that you have more study time and less material to juggle. At my school we do have a part time track that takes a little longer - but you can focus more. Where I see students having the most problem is when they don't get their gen ed classes finished BEFORE starting nursing; they are trying to juggle A&P II with Psych with nursing .. and it's just too much and their grades suffer.

Also look into peer tutoring - most schools offer that. An upper level A/B student tutors other lower classmen. I have heard this can be a big help because they can help you know where to focus your study time.

You might also want to find what dept can help with study ideas and finding your learning style. For instance if you are an auditory learner you might do better taping lectures and listening to them several times over to learn the content. Figure out what is holding you back and tackle the underlying issue. I wish you much success!

Specializes in Peds.

i went to college in 1997 after h.s. i was a big giant mess, my family was having major problems and i was severely depressed. i ended up my first semester with a 0.0 gpa. im not even kidding. i passed a few classes after that but my cum. gpa was a .67 and the end of the year. i finally after 8 years got the nerve to go back and try again last year, wiht a much stronger support system in place and my head in the right place and got a 4.0 in all my prereqs plus some electives. my total gpa all schooling included is still a 1.97 cause of past mistakes, but guess what.... i got into a great program at a private school and even got a scholarship...

so my advice is to please go try again, get higher grades in your prereqs, and they really will overlook mistakes in the past once you have proven you can succeed. i applied to 4 schools and got interviews at all of them and got into my first choice. school admissions really do look at the whole package,, you just need to prove to them that you are ready and really really really want it.

good luck

Specializes in Peds.

oh and by the way, all the schools i applied to are in the nyc area so keep you chin up.

i applied at

Phillips beth Israel SON (my future alma mater yeah!)

Long Island College HOspital

Dorothea Hopfer

Cochran

Go for the private schools, they seem to have a lot more time to really review your stuff and more time to care.

I know here in Los Angeles, most community college admit students according to lottery, as long as you have GPA greater than 2.5. ©

It might too late for you to improve your GPA, why not try some school that doesn't have a strict reqirment about grade. GOOD LUCK!

+ Add a Comment