Advice needed re:career (sorry long)

Specialties MICU

Published

I need some advice. I was terminated from my previous job in Jan 06 for what they deemed "unsafe patient care" I gave a patient xanax and restoril together as they were ordered PRN. My bosses thought that was wrong and I was terminated. Other RN's and physicians that I've spoken to don't seem to think that I did anything wrong and that management was LOOKING for a reason to fire me and used that incident to do so. Let me add that the patient was not harmed from the medications.

I'm an RN of 10 yrs with CCRN certification as well as my BSN. Been in critical care for over 5 yrs now.

Before getting hired in my current facility, I went on three job interviews. I was up front with the managers on the reason I was terminated. One manager basically offered me the job PENDING Human Resources background checks...then I'd get a letter in the mail saying "thanks but no thanks". I know my previous employer has me listed as "DO NOT HIRE". I also know that LEGALLY they are only allowed to tell prospective employers that I worked there from this date to that date. I've been told that legally they are not allowed to tell that I'm not eligible for rehire.

I've been at my current job for 18 months now. Basically, I cannot stand it here any longer. This place has a horrible reputation in the community in which it is located and I can see why. I am frequently left alone in the ICU with a patient. The last time this happened, my patient crashed on me at 6am! I voiced my concerns and was basically told to "put up and shut up". Our staffing policy states there should at least be an LPN or an Nurse Aide with the RN when there is only one patient but this rarely happens.

My boss doesn't even think that critical care is a priority over the med-surg/detox/medical-psych/OB floors. When we get slammed with admits, we are told to "deal with it, it's ICU" And there is NEVER more than 2 Nurses for up to 6 patients. SO if we are full, we have 3 patients each and IF we are lucky, we get to keep our nurse aide (if there's one scheduled). Usually she is pulled to another unit because their need is "greater" according to the nursing supervisors.. Last fall we had at one time FIVE patients on ventilators. I work straight nights and there is NO respiratory therapy on at night so we are responsible to do our own vent checks/ nebulizer treatments/setting up a vent if needed.

Our boss also runs another unit in the facility and spends most of her efforts dealing with their problems so basically the ICU is neglected. There are many issues that need to be dealt with by HER the BOSS but aren't. Too many issues for me to address here. But enough that makes me Not able to stand working there any longer.

Unfortunately for me, since I was fired from the last place I worked, it's basically made me unhireable anywhere else. I work in a small city. So people at my last place know people at the other hospitals in this town. I applied at the other large hospital in town and they won't even return my calls or emails anymore. I also applied at the VA hospital back in February, they sent my current boss a reference letter to fill out on me back in June and yet I still haven't heard anything from the VA. I know that the one nursing sup had an interview with them this past week as she told me so.....so again I am wondering if I've been blackballed at the VA now too!!

I even went an applied at a hospital that I worked at 5yrs ago......just did that this past week.

I don't know what else to do. It's disheartening to think that ONE incident is defining my career! Any advice for me? If you've read this far thanks. I am at my wits end and am very sickened at the fact that I may be stuck at my current place because of that one thing.

Specializes in ICU, Research, Corrections.
I need some advice. I was terminated from my previous job in Jan 06 for what they deemed "unsafe patient care" I gave a patient xanax and restoril together as they were ordered PRN. My bosses thought that was wrong and I was terminated. Other RN's and physicians that I've spoken to don't seem to think that I did anything wrong and that management was LOOKING for a reason to fire me and used that incident to do so. Let me add that the patient was not harmed from the medications.

I'm an RN of 10 yrs with CCRN certification as well as my BSN. Been in critical care for over 5 yrs now.

I agree you didn't do anything wrong, particularly if the patient was not harmed. If this is a fireable offense, I would have been fired long ago. Can you think of any reasons that they wanted to get rid of you?

If I were you, I would start looking around for travel nursing assignments. Sorry this unfortunate incident happened to you.

I agree you didn't do anything wrong, particularly if the patient was not harmed. If this is a fireable offense, I would have been fired long ago. Can you think of any reasons that they wanted to get rid of you?

If I were you, I would start looking around for travel nursing assignments. Sorry this unfortunate incident happened to you.

Thanks for reading!

I don't know if I could get agency assignments as the one large local hospital obviously wouldn't want ME as they fired me. Also, travelling isn't really an option either at least not long distance since I have a family.

I am pretty sure they wanted to get rid of me because I was about to grieve my most recent evaluation in Human Resources as the manager had NO documentation to back up the eval I was given.

Specializes in Critical Care, ER.

In short, you have to find at least one strong reference (preferably your current supervisor) and advance to agency nursing. There they are not as harsh and political with hiring as for staff positions.

Specializes in Travel Nursing, ICU, tele, etc.

I think you should look into taking some legal action against that former employer/manager. You deserve FAR better than the way you were treated and at the very least you should know why they really wanted you out. Perhaps it was something as inane as a personality conflict. I am soooo sorry that this happened to you.

I can't imagine trying to move on in my career with that obvious injustice in my past. You are a courageous person! I wish you the best and pray for you justice and retribution.

Well I am in a similar situation. What you have to do is find someone who will give you a strong reference and use them to start working as an agency nurse. I always keep my avenues open by being registered with multiple agencies at the same time. I also made a med error, more serious than yours, but that also did no harm to the patient. The facility I was working at supported me at first but then went on a witch hunt against me attacking my documentation right and left but then when they were proven wrong they decided they didn't want me back because the manager didn't like the way I sounded when I gave report one day. LAME LAME LAME. All I did was go back to one of my many old contracts that I completed with no problems through other agencies.

In short, you have to find at least one strong reference (preferably your current supervisor) and advance to agency nursing. There they are not as harsh and political with hiring as for staff positions.

See I don't really think that what I did was a med error. I've discussed it with a LOT of practicing RN and LPN's and have gotten the "yeah, ok, so what was the problem look" Even some of the physicians (interns) that I work with don't think that I did anything wrong.......My aunt is an LPN at a LTC and told me that she gives xanax and restoril all the time to her residents.

Thanks for the advice. I've got applications out at three local hospitals. I'll see if I get any call backs.

Also, suing the place that fired me isn't really an option because I know it would cost me a LOT of money....no lawyer in my area is gonna take on this big corporate conglomerate....I know of several other nurses who were fired from this same hospital for other stupid reasons and the one RN has spent over $15,000 of her own money and has gotten nowhere. The state in which this hospital is located is in an at-will employment state....which means that a place can fire you with no reason at any time....

It's been almost two years and I am still pretty bitter about the situation.....don't know if I'll ever get over it seeing as how it's affecting my career.:o

Also, I don't want to make waves at my current job because obviously I've got a mortgage and a child to feed like most people do. And if I were to get fired from this current place.....well, it would REALLY look bad, kwim?

Specializes in Travel Nursing, ICU, tele, etc.
Also, I don't want to make waves at my current job because obviously I've got a mortgage and a child to feed like most people do. And if I were to get fired from this current place.....well, it would REALLY look bad, kwim?

You are definitely doing the right thing given all those circumstances, to move on as best you can.

You are truly a hero. To be able to pull yourself up by your own boot straps and to keep pressing on is inspiring. Have you ever thought of joining a support group? Not only would you feel better by talking about it, you would be a great support person for others going through similar situations. At least you could use what happened to you as a positive force for others. ....just a thought.

:icon_hug: you are inspiring!

It is unfortunate that such incidents happen. I have worked in long term care, med-surge and now ICU. I agree with you and the rest that giving both drugs should not lead to termination.

Since you mentioned that you live in a small town, have you considered relocating? Maybe doing a research of other larger hospitals away from your ‘small town’ and starting all over can give you a fresh start. I hope the incident will not bog you down and ruin your career.

I sincerely wish you all the best in your pursuit for a job that suits your needs.

Thanks all for your support.......like I said, relocating is just NOT an option for me as I've got a family and a mortgage so relocating is out.

Got an email today from one of the hospitals that I had submitted an online application for an ICU position on day shift at a small ICU in my own hometown......it basically said, thanks but no thanks.....meanwhile, I also submitted an online app for the same hospital's ICU for night shift and it said application still active.....so maybe there's some hope?

I also submitted an application to the hospital where I began my nursing career 10 yrs ago....I've heard nothing, yet another nurse with whom I work who also submitted her application the same day has been hounded by them to come in for an interview, yet I continue to get NO response......

AND GET THIS! This morning I was repirmaned by the IM resident for TURNING THE OXYGEN DOWN ON A CO2 RETAINING COPD PT SINCE the PT WAS satting 100% on the current 02 setting! Yet I had to explain to the nitwit about BIPAP and what the settings mean and all that???? YET ANOTHER reason why I want out of this place so badly!!!! If I can't even turn down 02--it's a dRUG you know- then this is NOT a place for me when I can't even THINK independently. ANywhere else I've ever worked, if I hadn't turned down the pt's oxygen, I caught hayl for it!

I JUST CAN'T WIN!!

It's not a good one.....I've been rejected (yet again) by my hometown hospital...got the final thanks but no thanks email today on the 2nd position I put in an online application for last month........still haven't heard anything back on the online application I placed four weeks ago at a facility where I worked 6 yrs ago...but I'd think I would have at LEAST been called for an interview in 4 weeks and especially since I sent my old asst head nurse a "hello" card..

That's ok....They don't pay all that well and I am SURE I'd take a pay cut to go there even if it would be closer for me and I really couldn't afford to take another pay cut.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Woe is me....they STILL continue to do UNSAFE things where I work....left a coworker ALONE in ICU with a pt on a vent who was unstable because she was EXTREMELY anxious and our facility doesn't use DIPRIVAN as the pulmonologist doesn't know much about it:o

Pt extubated herself TWICE for this nurse!!!! And they STILL did not get my coworker any help as they pulled the other RN and our CNA to another unit!!!!!!!

Like I said in my previous posts....moving is NOT an option.......

But if this stuff keeps up, I may need to start looking into the LTC facilities in my area since I can't get hired at ANY other hospital in a 50 mile radius!

Specializes in SICU.

WOW, I'm so sorry. That is all just horrible.

I am thinking that there is more going on than meets the eye. Someone at your old job had an axe to grind with you for some reason... more than just a drug issue (which is a NON issue, BTW.. I've given Xanax and Restoril together more than once).

+ Add a Comment