Starting in Aug. 06

Nursing Students Student Assist

Published

I just got the letter Monday, that offers me to start in Aug. 06. Now, what should I do in preparation? I am reviewing anatomy and physiology. It's been 2 years since I had microbiology. I am also studying dosaging. Is there anything I can use or should do? What is intro to nursing process entail?

Congratulations on being accepted:smiley_aa

Depending on the nature of your nursing program (they all vary) your introductory nursing courses will probably introduce you to communication skills (how to talk to your patient), all the different types of nurses (community nurse, home care nurse etc)......some basic assessment skills like taking blood pressure, vital signs, resp, cardio etc, bed baths (ugh).

Reviewing your doseage calc's is a good idea, that is what I did and it certainly helped. You will be having to do a ton of research most likely and class presentations, and lots and lots and lots of reading!!. I was never ever able to read everything.

Anatomy review is always good, I did not find I had to know too much of that in first year, but then my program was pretty basic during first year. Lots of nursing theory, Florence Nightingale and all the "models" of nursing which I found so dry and boring, you will probably be doing all your research papers and assignments using APA so I would strongly suggest if you have no idea what that is, to learn it now or review it if you have time. Our class had no idea we would have to use APA and it sent everyone over the brink having to learn it.

While you have some free time, make sure you have a comfortable, quiet place in the home in which to study and keep all your stuff. I found it better having my own space where I could keep all my tons of paper, assignments and textbooks without anyone disturbing them.

Make your dental, hair appts, doctor appts now while you have free time. Bake some meals and freeze them. Get all your child's school supplies. In other words, make sure your car is in tip top shape and everything is organized because once you start nursing school you will be very very busy.

There are quite a few threads on the boards so if you just do a search I am sure you will find some, or someone else will post the links for them for you...Everyone has their own way of preparing.

That's about it!! Have fun, and good luck:nurse:

Thank you for the info.

Specializes in ICU, ER, Hemodialysis.

first congrats on the acceptance.

i'd say try to relax before school starts (that's my advice). remember that getting in is the first step...staying in is the next.

i was extremely happy when i got my acceptance (after working so hard to get in) and then when school began i quikly realized that now i have to work even harder to stay in as i watched fellow classmates fail out. you can do it, but you MUST do it! some people get in and they think that's it, they don't study and then, as the semester ends, the reality that they will not be back next semester sinks in. don't be scared just realize that there is still work ahead.

good luck and happy studying,

jay

thank you

Hi! Congrats on being accepted!

I'm also begining nursing school in August....I have 13 required books to purchase for my first year and have done so already. Whenever I get a chance, I look them over. I also purchased an anatomy coloring book to brush up on somethings. I have 3 children who begin school on August 1st, so I've been making sure to get them and myself prepared for the commitment I've taken on! I'm going in with an open mind and am prepared to work as hard as it takes to fufill my dream of becoming a nurse. Good luck to you!

Thirteen books? I'm scared to see how many I have to buy. I completed a&p 2 in last semester, but I too am reviewing. Also, I got ahold of a pharmacology book, courtsey of the college library. Good Luck to you too

Congrats on getting into nursing, you have chosen a very good profession to get into. I just finished school and am waiting to take the state boards next week. I can't even believe I am done already. Some days you will feel like quitting, some days you will feel great. Just remember why you are doing this and know that there IS a light at the end of the tunnel!! It will be a VERY emotional journey for you and just take everything in strides. Keep very good notes, use a tape recorder for lectures if allowed, and look over your notes EVERY day. Even if for just a few minutes. If note cards work for you, do those. Keep a positive attitude and you will succeed! Good luck and enjoy. You will be done before you know it!!

If you want to private message me with any questions, let me know.

Good luck!!

Specializes in med/surg, telemetry, IV therapy, mgmt.

here are two links for you to check out what the nursing process is. it is actually what you are going to be learning throughout nursing school. it actually consists of 5 components which you will see when you link into the first website. you spend most of your time in nursing school honing your mastery of each of those steps in the nursing process.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~nursingprocess/index.htm - this is a beautiful site that defines and explains a bit of what the nursing process is. you can also click on the links at the left side of the webpage to go to various subjects included within the nursing process to find out more about them.

http://www.mac.edu/faculty/nursingdepartment/200%20level/nursing_process.htm#return%20to%20top - this is an outline of a nursing school tutorial of what the nursing process is. i don't expect you will understand all the concepts that are presented here, but it i posted it in order to help answer your question of what you were going to be learning with regard to "nursing process"

here are two links for you to check out what the nursing process is. it is actually what you are going to be learning throughout nursing school. it actually consists of 5 components which you will see when you link into the first website. you spend most of your time in nursing school honing your mastery of each of those steps in the nursing process.

http://home.cogeco.ca/~nursingprocess/index.htm - this is a beautiful site that defines and explains a bit of what the nursing process is. you can also click on the links at the left side of the webpage to go to various subjects included within the nursing process to find out more about them.

http://www.mac.edu/faculty/nursingdepartment/200%20level/nursing_process.htm#return%20to%20top - this is an outline of a nursing school tutorial of what the nursing process is. i don't expect you will understand all the concepts that are presented here, but it i posted it in order to help answer your question of what you were going to be learning with regard to "nursing process"

great sites!

thanks

You're lucky it's only 13. I have TWENTY-NINE

Specializes in none, still looking.

Do whatever it is to make yourself comfortable, take advise, but everybody is different remember that, also, change is good. Hang with people that are similiar to you, and also, ask questions. Pray, and remember never lighten up, because it's not over till it's over.

+ Add a Comment