Online Science Courses

Students Pre-Nursing

Published

Has anyone had any trouble with a school not accepting a science course because it was taken online?

Thanks,

K

erin1205

88 Posts

I personally haven't had an issue with this as I haven't taken any science classes online. But...I know that the nursing school I was just accepted to does not take online science courses because they require that you actually have a real lab experience. Real as opposed to a "virtual" online lab.

mshep12

37 Posts

My impression is that most nursing programs want to see the lab time. For other pre reqs, I'm thinking mostly of math, I'm sure some programs do accept credits from online courses. But you should check with someone in the program's department of admissions.

goingformydream

114 Posts

Just check with the college's nursing program to see if they accept online science classes. I found in my area that 2 did (as long as it said lab) One college did not.. they were upfront with me. I did mine via Rio Salado and Edukan..

Oh, I would check before you start doing the coursework; online classes tend to be pricey.

coolpeach

1,051 Posts

Specializes in ER/Ortho.

I have taken online developmental psych, and a computer class which they accept no problem. All of the Science classes that I needed (Biology, Chemistry, A&P 1 & 2, and Microbiology) weren't offered online. You must go to lab which you cannot do online.

goingformydream

114 Posts

I have taken online developmental psych, and a computer class which they accept no problem. All of the Science classes that I needed (Biology, Chemistry, A&P 1 & 2, and Microbiology) weren't offered online. You must go to lab which you cannot do online.

There are some legit programs that do offer online science programs. Check out the distance learning threads in that area for more information.

Cherish

876 Posts

Specializes in Junior Year of BSN.

I was going to take AP2 this summer online but was told that UNC will not accept online science courses so decided to take it at an actual school. So I would suggest calling the schools you are applying to or will be going to to see if they accept online science courses because there are schools out there that will not accept them.

Fallon

47 Posts

I was considering taking an online A&P I through EduKan and Howard Comm College in MD stated that it would not be accepted due to the online lab component. The advisor stated that the lecture portion was fine, but the virtual lab is a problem.

caliotter3

38,333 Posts

The easy way to avoid having trouble with any course transferring is to contact your school prior to taking the course and getting their ok. Of course, you should request that they provide you the information in writing.

rnmomtobe2010

1,051 Posts

The school I attend has online classes, but it is REQUIRED to come to campus once a week for the lab!!

vashtee, RN

1,065 Posts

Specializes in DOU.

I took physiology on line through the local community college. There were separate, mandatory lab hours once a week. My nursing program (through the same school) accepted the class, of course.

That being said, although I aced the class, I thought it was brutally difficult to take physiology online, and I don't recommend it at all. Because there is no lecture, every single thing in the textbook becomes equally important. It was really tough.

Sarah Bellum

264 Posts

Specializes in progressive care telemetry.

Yep, I'm having to retake A&P 1 and 2 because the school I have decided to apply to won't accept the online labs. I took the online classes 2 years ago with the intent of applying to one school and they approved the online classes. I've since changed my mind about the school I want to go to and the new one wants in person labs.

The new school will, however, accept Microbiololgy without a lab so I'm looking into maybe taking it through BYU online. I really enjoyed my online classes plus it's great not having to schlep down to campus 2 or 3 times a week.

Karen

+ Add a Comment