Group One

U.S.A. Texas

Published

What is it? How does it work? Why have Texas nurses let it become so threatening?

Specializes in Clinical Research, Outpt Women's Health.

I think youneed Mattsmom's input on this. She has had a lot of experience with them, and I understand they are awful.

I think youneed Mattsmom's input on this. She has had a lot of experience with them, and I understand they are awful.

Yes, they are awful. I have posted so many times warning folks about them my fingers are horse. lol

Companies like Group One happen when no one is guarding the henhouse.

Who are they? I know institutions have the power and connections to blackball former employees. Just don't understand how these people work?

Group One is a subsidiary of the DFW Hospital association. It conducts, as a protected third party, 'background checks' for members of the organization. They share information among themselves and have gotten powerhungry with their ability to ruin a nurse, simply on the word of a manager who may not like the person, etc.They've found loopholes to get by legalities in the system. They say much more than 'not eligible for rehire'. Comments from managers (which can be grossly exaggerated) are in there. One can supposedly see what is in there on you IF someone tells you they're not hiring you because of something in your Group One file. BUT many HR people will not divulge this to the nurse...they simply 'have found a better applicant'. I only found I had a hit on the blacklist because a kind HR person let me in on it so I could add a rebuttal.

Texas being 'employment at will' only makes this harder for nurses there, many are afraid to rock the boat in any way.

I suspect Group One keeps a database of work injuries, union activity, outspoken nurse advocates etc...those who would not be 'ideal' hires in the area. But its hard to prove, unless we can find a former employee to rat them out. A nurse attorney in the area has her ears up for this if it should happen. Her whole practice is defending nurses to the BNE...many of whom were also blackballed through Group One.

We all understand the need to deal with REAL problem nurses, check criminal backgrounds, etc...but they take it too far...and use it as a way to manipulate nurses, and silence their voices. Nurses know they can be ruined in that area.

When we hear DFW managers telling nurses 'you'll never work again in this area' they mean it. They have the power to do that, sadly.

Trouble is its hard to prove it goes on, they have built in third party protections and legal authorities on staff. An attorney I know in Fort Worth would love to get a group together and challenge what they do...but most nurses just move on. I know many good nurses who just gave up their licenses in disgust. I know other nurses who stay in a bad work environment because they have been told they have a Group One problem, thus they cannot get another job. HR's will throw out their application. :(

Even with a rebuttal added to the charge there is some kind of message sent 'this is a bad hire' to HR's. I was fortunate to have plenty of good manager contacts and was well known as a good nurse, so I got hired by going around HR. Many nurses are not so fortunate. I know many nurses who just leave nursing in disgust, or move away. :(

If you do an advanced search using Group One and my name you'll find lots of threads on it. Its one of my pet peeves...LOL!

sorry...I'm rambling today (worse than usual) LOL!

Specializes in Clinical Research, Outpt Women's Health.

Thanks Mattsmom for educating us - do you have any reccomendations for places to work in Fort Worth? I really appreciate your giving us your input, and I hope you are enjoying my old home - the "Pacifi North WET".

What a horrible way to be treated. Is this group only in DFW area or does it have power all over Texas. I have known 3 nurses who went to Texas to work and came home after less than 5 years. Two moved on south but one stated he would never practice anywhere but WV again.

I would imagine there is a great shortage of nurses in DFW area due to this group. Lets face it, no one has a perfect hair day everyday. Being an employee and being a nurse often creates conflict, a good nurse does not always feel "company policy" fits the needs of the patient.

While I never plan on working in Texas, I do wonder if any other areas of some states have a group that operates like Group One.

MattsMom, I wish you continued good fortune and happiness.

Thanks Mattsmom for educating us - do you have any reccomendations for places to work in Fort Worth? I really appreciate your giving us your input, and I hope you are enjoying my old home - the "Pacifi North WET".

There are good managers out there who will overlook a Group One report IF they know you are a good nurse. I would recommend my last place, but the good folks have moved on so I'm not sure of what its like now. Lots of turnover in DFW..nurses looking for a 'good place' where they fit in.

Sometimes its just a crapshoot...try a place out and keep your head down , speak up carefully, and do a good job...and if the place is not for you, be very very careful you leave on a good note. thats the only advice I can give you. There is an unspoken rule in the area 'stay for a year' too...I know nurses who haven't stayed out the year who get Group One'd for job hopping.

Thanks I love it up here in the Seattle area...but I live on the west side of the sound where its not as wet. Its just gorgeous up here!! :)

What a horrible way to be treated. Is this group only in DFW area or does it have power all over Texas. I have known 3 nurses who went to Texas to work and came home after less than 5 years. Two moved on south but one stated he would never practice anywhere but WV again.

I would imagine there is a great shortage of nurses in DFW area due to this group. Lets face it, no one has a perfect hair day everyday. Being an employee and being a nurse often creates conflict, a good nurse does not always feel "company policy" fits the needs of the patient.

While I never plan on working in Texas, I do wonder if any other areas of some states have a group that operates like Group One.

MattsMom, I wish you continued good fortune and happiness.

Thank you...I am glad to be out of that area...after 25 years there I was ready to leave the heat AND the oppressive non-union, employment at will area! LOVE it up here in Western Washington!!

I'm sure other companies like Group One are out there somewhere but I don't know of them personally. All it takes is a huge conglomerate (like a local hospital association) with money to hire an attorney to set a third party consumer credit background check organization for them. Then they're in collusion hospital to hospital and can abuse their power. I'd bet they started out just doing regular background checks, then over the years thought...hey, we can use this to weed out 'problem nurses' too... and they have an attorney watching out for them so they have found loopholes I'm sure. .

Sorry..double posted. :uhoh21:

Dear Mattsmom

I am new to this forum and am fearful that I have been blacklisted here in Tn by the medical giant in these here parts HCA.

Do you have any advice as to how I can find out if this is, in fact, the case?

+ Add a Comment