Any Michiganders take the HESI recently? (the prenursing school one)

U.S.A. Michigan

Published

I have heard that the vocabulary portion of the HESI is rather difficult because the terms you need to know aren't in the study guide. Is there anyone with advice on how to prep for that portion of the test? TIA !

Kelly

What exactly did you mean by the HESI? I know at my school and a lot of other schools here in Michigan, we take the Net test. I don't know if they are similar though.

What exactly did you mean by the HESI? I know at my school and a lot of other schools here in Michigan, we take the Net test. I don't know if they are similar though.

I'm pretty sure that the NET is the equivalent of the HESI. Macomb Community College uses the HESI as part of their application/selection process.

Ok, in that case I plan on taking the Net test August 16 at WCCCD. I have a friend who took it at Schoolcraft College and failed the reading part. I hear a lot of people focus on the math section, when the reading section is the hardest. I bought a study guide from my schools bookstore. It's called the "Study Guide for The Net, The Hobet, The Help entrance tests". The authors are Michael D. Frost, PhD and Mitchell D. Jarvis, BSCS, BSM. I hope this helps!

Hmm, I wonder how similar the tests are? I have a study guide for the HESI, I just know the vocabulary words that everyone seems to stumble over aren't in the guide. I am not worried about reading, I feel pretty confident in that dept! I do need to refresh my math skills (fractions and Roman numerals!).

Ok, in that case I plan on taking the Net test August 16 at WCCCD. I have a friend who took it at Schoolcraft College and failed the reading part. I hear a lot of people focus on the math section, when the reading section is the hardest. I bought a study guide from my schools bookstore. It's called the "Study Guide for The Net, The Hobet, The Help entrance tests". The authors are Michael D. Frost, PhD and Mitchell D. Jarvis, BSCS, BSM. I hope this helps!

I took the NET, I scored my highest on the reading. I was in the 95 percentile, while for me the math was what I studied hardest on. Some of it, I had not done in years. I am 40 years old. I don't know if the HESI is the same, but the study guide for the NET was very helpful. Most of the questions on the study guide were almost word for word on the test. Good luck to all of you who have to take the exam.

I took the NET, I scored my highest on the reading. I was in the 95 percentile, while for me the math was what I studied hardest on. Some of it, I had not done in years. I am 40 years old. I don't know if the HESI is the same, but the study guide for the NET was very helpful. Most of the questions on the study guide were almost word for word on the test. Good luck to all of you who have to take the exam.

I am scheduled to take my Net also, my firend told me the reading was the hardest. But I usually do really good in reading. Where and when did you take the Net? Also was it written or on the computer?

I am scheduled to take my Net also, my firend told me the reading was the hardest. But I usually do really good in reading. Where and when did you take the Net? Also was it written or on the computer?

I took my NET at the Western Campus at WCCCD. I took it in April and it took almost 3 weeks to get my results through the mail. I have heard Henry Ford has a computerized NET that tells you your score right then and there. At WCCCD however, it is on paper and scantron.

From what I've heard, when you take the HESI you get your score for each component of the test as you finish (reading, vocabulary, math). I don't know if it's good to know how well/bad you are doing as you complete the test or bad! It's done on a computer.

Where are you applying?? I took the HESI for MCC back in December and yes you do get a score after completing each section. I will say that it didn't help my nerves. I was expecting the grammar, vocab and reading portions to be a breeze.. how hard could it really be? Wrong! The best advice I can give is to take your time! Don't stare at the clock and if you don't do well on one section don't let it get you down. It's the overall score (at least at MCC) that they look at. I was devasted with my overall score, BUT i still got an acceptance letter in March (starting in October '06). So, don't stress out now! (I know easier said then done.) Good luck!

Where are you applying?? I took the HESI for MCC back in December and yes you do get a score after completing each section. I will say that it didn't help my nerves. I was expecting the grammar, vocab and reading portions to be a breeze.. how hard could it really be? Wrong! The best advice I can give is to take your time! Don't stare at the clock and if you don't do well on one section don't let it get you down. It's the overall score (at least at MCC) that they look at. I was devasted with my overall score, BUT i still got an acceptance letter in March (starting in October '06). So, don't stress out now! (I know easier said then done.) Good luck!

Jennifer

I am applying to Macomb too. Can I ask what your devastating HESI score was? :chair: Oh, how come nobody will spill what kind of difficult vocabulary words are on the test??? It's not a secret, is it :confused:?

GPA 3.9, Hesi 88. The Math portion saved my butt. No it's not a secret, a lot of large words and some medical terminology that I don't think a lot of people expected. No specifics are really coming to mind. Get a medical dictionary, and learn a new word everyday. If anything it will payoff down the road. I do this all the time at work to kill time. Hope it helps!

+ Add a Comment