DePaul University - Info

U.S.A. Illinois

Published

Hi Everyone. Does anyone have any info about the Masters Entry Program through DePaul University? I'm just trying to find some good options.

Has anyone out there completed the program or are they in it currently?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Specializes in Burns, ICU.

I am currently in it... feel free to send me a message...

i'm also in the program. send me a message if you're still looking for info.

Specializes in Urgent Care NP, Emergency Nursing, Camp Nursing.

Hey, I just got accepted into the Jan '09 cohort. Can anyone give me advice on where to live, how to find roommates, and the inevitable useful things to know that they don't include in the acceptance paperwork?

I'm in a program like that at Marquette. If I had to do it again, I'd do an accelerated BSN.

I am 1/2 way through the program. I live here, so not sure how to find roommates and places to live. I will tell you that the area around the school is pricy - so you may want to check craigs list for apartments or look in other areas along the Red/brown line for easy access to the school. The other thing is to try and find fixed parking. Our clinicals are all over the city, and some places are not too easy for public trans. Some are GREAT for public trans. Other than that you need $$$, try and apply for aid at the school and at other places.

I don't think you need a palm thing, and buy your books at Amazon they are MUCH cheaper than the book store. I would not have a job if you can at all avoid it.

Good luck and feel free to ask me anything else you may need to know!

I'm new to this "community" & just read this thread. I just got accepted for the winter quarter and wanted to ask about the school cos i'm trying to decide whether to accept it or not.

My main concern is after graduation, what are my options? As in what kind of nursing jobs will we be qualified to apply for since we don't have any nursing experience? I was comparing this program with UIC's and UIC seems to point its students towards a specialty. Is that the same with DePaul? or is their's just a general RN program - like a BSN?

thanks in advance.

Specializes in Urgent Care NP, Emergency Nursing, Camp Nursing.

from the depaul graduate nursing website (under program details):

this generic nursing program is designed to prepare persons with a bachelor's degree in any field to become a professional registered nurse through examination (nclex-rn). students complete 830 clinical hours in the traditional areas of medical-surgical, maternal-child health, pediatric, psychiatric-mental health, and community health nursing. students also complete the core graduate courses in nursing that create the foundation for post-master's degree academic or advanced practice specialization. it is the first of its kind in the state of illinois. the major advantage of this program for college graduates over other types of associate degree or accelerated bachelor's degree programs is that all classes are taught at the graduate level for graduate students. this program is ideal for the individual whose ultimate goal is advanced practice nursing or doctoral preparation in nursing.

so there ya go. they prep us for the nclex-rn, and lay the foundation to make it easier to go on to advanced practice.

livingthedream,

What stop on the red/brown line is closest to the campus?

I am looking at coming in from a NW suburb and taking the train in then transferring to a bus or directly to the red/brown line to get to campus.

Thanks for the advice on books as well :)

How are the profs??

there are a few ways to get there from NW suburbs... if you are on the metra from Harvard - the northwest line - you can get off at clyborne and then take a bus or walk directly there. It is only about a 1 or 1.5 mile walk. This will cut a lot of time out of the commute. If you do take the metra into the loop, then transfer to the red or the brown and take it to fullerton, they both stop at Fullerton and then the campus is right across the street. Good luck.

As for prof's, like any school, some really great, some really NOT great. :)

there are a few ways to get there from NW suburbs... if you are on the metra from Harvard - the northwest line - you can get off at clyborne and then take a bus or walk directly there. It is only about a 1 or 1.5 mile walk. This will cut a lot of time out of the commute. If you do take the metra into the loop, then transfer to the red or the brown and take it to fullerton, they both stop at Fullerton and then the campus is right across the street. Good luck.

As for prof's, like any school, some really great, some really NOT great. :)

Do you happen to know which bus it is from Clyborne that runs to campus? I am trying to make sense of the Chicago transit page but I swear that thing is in greek!!

google RTA trip planner and it lets you put in a starting address and and ending address (use 990 W Fullerton as your end) and it will tell you the best way to get there....

+ Add a Comment