CLEP Chemistry

Nursing Students Online Learning

Published

Specializes in Trauma,ER,CCU/OHU/Nsg Ed/Nsg Research.

Hi all,

I am seriously considering CLEPping Chemistry for my RN-BSN program, due to scheduling hassles. Has anyone here CLEPped this one? I've CLEPped Soc, Bio, and Lit before, so I'm familiar/comfortable with the format, but I'm pretty sure Chem will be more challenging. I do have my husband's college Chem. textbook from when he took it a few years ago, so that helps a lot.

So, if you've taken this exam before:

1.) How did it compare with the other CLEPs you took?

2.) How long did you study before you took the exam?

3.) What study materials did you use, other than a textbook?

I have almost 30 of CLEP credit. I had taken CHEM in college, but it had 'aged out', so I took the CLEP to prove myself.

1.) How did it compare with the other CLEPs you took?
It was harder than the other classes I CLEPed.

2.) How long did you study before you took the exam?
I studied for 2 months about 35-45 hours.

3.) What study materials did you use, other than a textbook?
Believe it on not I still had my old high school chemisty notes. I took 'O' and 'A' levels in the UK education system to those notes were very comprehensive. I also used my freshman college chem notes and a friend's notes from a semester earlier. I also used the Standared Deviant tapes and two new college chemistry texts I found in the library. The Standard Deviant tapes were entertaining and helped me reinforce stuff I knew.

I matched up the notes with the test outline on the College Board website.

I think you will do great because you have experience with the format.

Thanks Sunnyjohn- I appreciate the useful info. I think I'm going to go for it.

Specializes in Cardiac Care.

I have a stupid question. It's off-topic, but somewhat related. I hope you don't mind.

How exactly does CLEPping a test/course work?

It was suggested to me that I might be able to CLEP some courses towards my degree; courses I've had in the past that have aged out or for whatever reason aren't able to be transferred. Is it really just a matter of studying on one's own and then taking a test that would result in college credits being awarded? It seems too easy, for some reason. Are CLEPped credits accepted widely? I'd assume I'd have to get approval from the granting institution before registering for an exam, right? I recently found out that my college is a CLEP testing center. I have to have 3 credits each in Psych and Soc, and 6 credits in English Comp. I'm understanding (I think) that I can take CLEP exams. The truth is, I can't think of any reason why anyone would sit in a classroom when this is available. Like I said, it just seems too easy or convenient. Am I missing something? Any information would be gratefully accepted! Thanks.

CLEP is kinda like a 'test-out' program. It allows you to prove that you have attended college-level proficiency in a subject. Check out these links. They will tell you all you need to know about CLEP.

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/credit.html

Specializes in Cardiac Care.
CLEP is kinda like a 'test-out' program. It allows you to prove that you have attended college-level proficiency in a subject. Check out these links. They will tell you all you need to know about CLEP.

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/about.html

http://www.collegeboard.com/student/testing/clep/credit.html

These links are EXACTLY what I needed. Thanks so much!!!

The chem clep is a very hard exam I believe it has an 8% pass rate.

Good luck taking it, If you follow the outline I'm sure you will do fine.

Each school has a list of CLEPs that they will accept. Every school does not accept all CLEPs. You need to check with the school you are planning on using them at before you take them to see if they will accept it. Hope this helps.

I have a stupid question. It's off-topic, but somewhat related. I hope you don't mind.

How exactly does CLEPping a test/course work?

It was suggested to me that I might be able to CLEP some courses towards my degree; courses I've had in the past that have aged out or for whatever reason aren't able to be transferred. Is it really just a matter of studying on one's own and then taking a test that would result in college credits being awarded? It seems too easy, for some reason. Are CLEPped credits accepted widely? I'd assume I'd have to get approval from the granting institution before registering for an exam, right? I recently found out that my college is a CLEP testing center. I have to have 3 credits each in Psych and Soc, and 6 credits in English Comp. I'm understanding (I think) that I can take CLEP exams. The truth is, I can't think of any reason why anyone would sit in a classroom when this is available. Like I said, it just seems too easy or convenient. Am I missing something? Any information would be gratefully accepted! Thanks.

I didn't see A&P on that website. Can it be CLEPed? Has anyone done it?

I don't believe there is an A&P CLEP. There are some online A&P courses available, but make sure you don't need the lab. I took A&P 1&2, and Micro classes in a traditional school, so I could have the labs with these.

But some schools do allow you to use Excelsior College's A&P exam to challenge it.

This is an old thread. I passed the exam, BTW. :chuckle

+ Add a Comment