Can a US RN work in Oz for a year or two?

World International

Published

Specializes in Ortho/Uro/Peds/Research/PH/Insur/Travel.

I visited Australia a few years ago and, in the back of my mind, I have ALWAYS toyed with the notion of working as a nurse there. Are there any REPUTABLE agencies that can help make this possible? Just curious! THANKS!

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

As long as you meet state requirements there is no reason why you don't do this without using an agency

Specializes in A&E, District Nursing, & Aged Care.

http://www.anmc.org.au/ to get you application assessed by our nation body.

Geneva International is an excellent agency. They placed me from Oz to the UK for a placement in A&E, and I stayed for 1 year and half. Then I changed course and worked in district nursing for the next year in UK for a change. I also explored the option with geneva to work in the US but I went back to Oz. Geneva were v. good.

Specializes in Oncology/Haematology/Stem Cell Transplant, Med/Sur.

Australians love American Nurses. You will be fine! You will find the work and expectations alot easier than in your own country.

Specializes in Ortho/Neuro/Trauma.

I'm on a 2 year contract with a hospital here in Melbourne. Like Silverdragon said, you don't necessarily need to go through an agency unless you want to work as an agency nurse here in oz (e.g. no extra benefits like paid time off or sick days, but more flexibility with your hours and higher hourly wage). I would start first with getting your license from the state you wish to work in. It's much easier to do the immigration and visa process once you have your license. Good luck!

I'm on a 2 year contract with a hospital here in Melbourne. Like Silverdragon said, you don't necessarily need to go through an agency unless you want to work as an agency nurse here in oz (e.g. no extra benefits like paid time off or sick days, but more flexibility with your hours and higher hourly wage). I would start first with getting your license from the state you wish to work in. It's much easier to do the immigration and visa process once you have your license. Good luck!

Hi,

I am also an American, looking to do a travel assignment to australia. How has your experience been? How does it pay? What benefits do come with it...housing? Health insurance? Is the flight payed for? I have a gazillion questions about this. I would appreciate any input.

Thanks so much...

Specializes in Ortho/Neuro/Trauma.

Hi Barkles,

For the sake of repetition, I answered another user's questions to the best of my ability here:

https://allnurses.com/forums/f123/us-nurse-trying-work-australia-339980.html#post3169499

I've only been here for about 3 months now, and I read your previous thread about your nursing experience. In my opinion you would have no problem securing a job in ICU/Critical Care/Tele purely because these are the areas that are highly needed down under. I work in acute care and I can tell you there are some things that are way different than the states but some things that are exactly the same. I think it would be similar to doing travel assignments in the states, just having to get used to a whole other system and way of doing things. You already have a few things on your side: lots of experience, speaking the native language, and coming from a country that is recognized as similar nursing education. But be aware that you must have a minimum of a Bachelor's degree to work down under.

Pay depends on whereabout you work. If you're in one of the major cities, the pay will obviously be higher than in rural or smaller towns. But on the flipside the rent and cost of living is higher (Similar to if you worked in a major city in the US). Currently with the way the market is and the AUD only going for about 66 cents USD, you have to think about the currency difference you would be facing. In the state of Victoria, there is a payscale depending on how much experience you have. I can't speak towards the other states, but I'm sure someone else with more knowledge in that area can :)

Health insurance depends on the type of visa you are on. I replied to the user on the link provided, but I would imagine if you're only coming to Aus short term you would be on a employer sponsered visa and therefore you would be required to purchase your own private health insurance. For a single basic cover this is about $1000/year.

Again depending on your employer, relocation costs may vary. I wasn't offered any relocation assistnace from the employer I ultimately accepted a position with, but other hospitals I interviewed with seemed to offer around $1500. This doesn't cover the cost to fly from LA to Sydney, let alone rent, health insurance or visa/licensing fees. Just another thing to think about, but then again other companies and agencies may offer you something. Just something to research when you're applying for positions :)

Well that's all from my first hand experience so I hope it helps you at least a little bit. Hopefully some others can chime in and give some more info on their won experiences. Hope that helps!

Thank you so much for your input....greatly appreciated!

Hi Barkles,

For the sake of repetition, I answered another user's questions to the best of my ability here:

https://allnurses.com/forums/f123/us-nurse-trying-work-australia-339980.html#post3169499

I've only been here for about 3 months now, and I read your previous thread about your nursing experience. In my opinion you would have no problem securing a job in ICU/Critical Care/Tele purely because these are the areas that are highly needed down under. I work in acute care and I can tell you there are some things that are way different than the states but some things that are exactly the same. I think it would be similar to doing travel assignments in the states, just having to get used to a whole other system and way of doing things. You already have a few things on your side: lots of experience, speaking the native language, and coming from a country that is recognized as similar nursing education. But be aware that you must have a minimum of a Bachelor's degree to work down under.

Pay depends on whereabout you work. If you're in one of the major cities, the pay will obviously be higher than in rural or smaller towns. But on the flipside the rent and cost of living is higher (Similar to if you worked in a major city in the US). Currently with the way the market is and the AUD only going for about 66 cents USD, you have to think about the currency difference you would be facing. In the state of Victoria, there is a payscale depending on how much experience you have. I can't speak towards the other states, but I'm sure someone else with more knowledge in that area can :)

Health insurance depends on the type of visa you are on. I replied to the user on the link provided, but I would imagine if you're only coming to Aus short term you would be on a employer sponsered visa and therefore you would be required to purchase your own private health insurance. For a single basic cover this is about $1000/year.

Again depending on your employer, relocation costs may vary. I wasn't offered any relocation assistnace from the employer I ultimately accepted a position with, but other hospitals I interviewed with seemed to offer around $1500. This doesn't cover the cost to fly from LA to Sydney, let alone rent, health insurance or visa/licensing fees. Just another thing to think about, but then again other companies and agencies may offer you something. Just something to research when you're applying for positions :)

Well that's all from my first hand experience so I hope it helps you at least a little bit. Hopefully some others can chime in and give some more info on their won experiences. Hope that helps!

pay depends on whereabout you work. if you're in one of the major cities, the pay will obviously be higher than in rural or smaller towns. but on the flipside the rent and cost of living is higher (similar to if you worked in a major city in the us). currently with the way the market is and the aud only going for about 66 cents usd, you have to think about the currency difference you would be facing. in the state of victoria, there is a payscale depending on how much experience you have. i can't speak towards the other states, but i'm sure someone else with more knowledge in that area can :)

pay is dependent on which state you live in, how many years experience you have and whether you work in the public or private sector. it is not dependent on whether you live in a large city or a small rural town.

act pays the highest rates, then nsw, i don't know who comes after these two states.

Jewels,

Thanks again for your letter. It was very informative. I was pretty crushed when I read that a bachelors degree was required. Is this an absolute certainty, or just with your particular hospital? I've tried making contacts with a few nursing agencies, and can't seem to get a direct, valid answer. This would be the only thing holding me back. I am looking to work in Melbourne, hopefully. How do you like it there so far?

Hi Barkles,

Jewels,

Thanks again for your letter. It was very informative. I was pretty crushed when I read that a bachelors degree was required. Is this an absolute certainty, or just with your particular hospital? I've tried making contacts with a few nursing agencies, and can't seem to get a direct, valid answer. This would be the only thing holding me back. I am looking to work in Melbourne, hopefully. How do you like it there so far?

I welcome any other information from Aussie or American nurses. Thank you!

This is the Board of Nursing site for Victoria.

http://www.nbv.org.au/web/guest/overseas-nurse-initialreg-requirements

There is no absolute requirement that you must have a Nursing Degree, you just need to satisfy the Board that your qualification is equal to an Australian RNs education.

I hope this helps, best of luck.

+ Add a Comment