Jump to content

First Job as a New Grad

Posted
by ngnurse ngnurse (New) New Nurse

Hi everyone; I'm looking for a little bit of advice.

I graduated from a BSN program in May and passed my NCLEX in July. I've been applying everywhere, but I'm finding it difficult to get a job because of COVID. A lot of hospitals nearby are on hiring freezes or are hiring minimal staff members. I had one interview so far, but that went no where.

After being frustrated, I've started applying to LTC and clinic positions. I'd like to eventually (sooner rather than later) be an ICU nurse - I just know it's unlikely I'll get an ICU position as a new grad with minimal experience because many new grad fellowships were canceled and the ones that remain are VERY selective. I have the grades, but no experience outside of clinical because I did an accelerated nursing program (second bachelor's) and had no time to work.

I have an interview at an endoscopy clinic on Monday. If I'm lucky enough to be given an offer, would it be a good opportunity to take until I find a hospital position? Would it be worth it to try for LTC or a hospital position over an endoscopy clinic? Unfortunately I think May 2020 grads aren't being considered as much because we lost our capstone, and now we have August 2020 grads who had theirs, so I'm lost😞

Thank you in advance!

41 minutes ago, mmc51264 said:

where do you live?

New York

Nunya, BSN

Specializes in NICU/Mother-Baby/Peds/Mgmt. Has 39 years experience.

I would tell you to take the clinic is it's offered.  From what I've read on here about LTC facilities, and what I saw when my Dad was in one, the patient load is pretty high and you never know how sick the people will be and what the staffing will be.  Have you thought about applying to hospitals outside your area and moving if you need to?

9 hours ago, Nunya said:

I would tell you to take the clinic is it's offered.  From what I've read on here about LTC facilities, and what I saw when my Dad was in one, the patient load is pretty high and you never know how sick the people will be and what the staffing will be.  Have you thought about applying to hospitals outside your area and moving if you need to?

Yeah I've heard similar things about LTC facilities (stuff like 40 patients, 1 RN, and some amount of LPNs/CNAs). I would be fine with working in a clinic, but I'm more worried about making sure I'm learning skills that would directly transfer over to a hospital setting.

I've applied to hospitals pretty much everywhere but upstate NY, the Bronx, and Staten Island. However, applying to hospitals in those remaining parts of NYS might be the next move if I can't find anything soon. I don't want to remain unemployed for too long 😞

Edited by newyorknurse

Chickenlady, ADN

Specializes in ER, GI, Occ Health. Has 7 years experience.

Endoscopy is a good place to start.  You'll get pre-op, post-op and intra-op experience and possibly procedural sedation depending on the clinic.  Some GI groups also cover in-patient GI procedures, so you can get some exposure to the hospital there and make some valuable contacts.  

2 hours ago, newyorknurse said:

... I would be fine with working in a clinic, but I'm more worried about making sure I'm learning skills that would directly transfer over to a hospital setting.

Compared with the skills that you're learning not working?

I've read many posts here from nurses considering a position in the clinic, long term care, home health, etc. setting concerned that they would not be learning skills that will, in your words, "directly transfer over to a hospital setting" and being concerned that working in these settings will limit their ability to obtain a hospital position.  I would look at this differently, and think you need to reverse the way your thinkin about this, and ask the question this way: What skills will I acquire working in the clinic, long term care, home health, etc. setting that the new graduate nurse that hasn't worked anywhere doesn't have.  

You should also bear in mind that, compared to a new graduate nurse that isn't working, having any nursing position is going to provide you an advantage.  

Best wishes.

Edited by chare
Edited wording

28 minutes ago, chare said:

Compared with the skills that you're learning not working?

I've read many posts here from nurses considering a position in the clinic, long term care, home health, etc. setting concerned that they would not be learning skills that will, in your words, "directly transfer over to a hospital setting" and being concerned that working in these settings will limit their ability to obtain a hospital position.  I would look at this differently, and think you need to reverse the way your thinkin about this, and ask the question this way: What skills will I acquire working in the clinic, long term care, home health, etc. setting that the new graduate nurse that hasn't worked anywhere doesn't have.  

You should also bear in mind that, compared to a new graduate nurse that isn't working, having any nursing position is going to provide you an advantage.  

Best wishes.

No, not compared to the "skills that I'm learning from not working," but my question was "would it be a good opportunity to take until I find a hospital position? Would it be worth it to try for LTC or a hospital position over an endoscopy clinic?" So I guess I'm looking to see what would be the best Plan B if a hospital position doesn't work out - LTC, home care, clinic, etc. Of course I know something is better than nothing, but I'm trying to find the best something I can (especially with my limited knowledge of endoscopy nursing) until I can get to where I want to be, hence listing my end goals.

39 minutes ago, Chickenlady said:

Endoscopy is a good place to start.  You'll get pre-op, post-op and intra-op experience and possibly procedural sedation depending on the clinic.  Some GI groups also cover in-patient GI procedures, so you can get some exposure to the hospital there and make some valuable contacts.  

Thanks for the information. I didn't consider endoscopy nursing and know little about it, but found this position online. It's a short commute from my house and, as I mentioned, I have been having a difficult time finding a hospital job, so I figured I'd apply and give it a shot.