Questions...please I need your input.

  1. I'm seriously thinking about going to a MT program; I have been searching for a respectable MT school. Does anyone here have any thoughts about Cortiva?

    I sat down with a Cortiva counselor last week and she said that after passing the test, students become "certified." What is the difference between being certified and being licensed?
  2. Visit PLTSGT profile page

    About PLTSGT, BSN

    Joined: Dec '05; Posts: 86; Likes: 22
    from US
    Specialty: 20 year(s) of experience in LTC, FP office, Med/Surg, ICU, Dialysis


  3. by   jer_sd
    as a general rule certification is provided by a nongoverment agency and licensure is provided by a government agency.for massage therapy there are 2 certifications which are accredited by the ncca.licensure may be required depending on where you live. the regulation from the state will have a title such as licensed massage therapist or even certified massage therapist (can be confusing with certification vrs license thing) the best thing is to see what the requirements are where you live.a school may award a certificate of completion and then say you are certified, but I would recommend taking a recognized certification exam.also most programs are 500 hours so be cautious if it is less than that.Jeremy
  4. by   Nemhain
    The Cortiva Institute is a corporation that bought out about 10 well-established Massage Therapy Schools (most notable are The Desert Institute of Healing Arts in Tucson and The Brenneke School of Massage in Seattle). From what I understand, the schools that have been purchased have retained most of their original curriculum, staff and management, so by that account all of the schools are a quite a bit different.
  5. by   PLTSGT
    Maybe I should just speak with a local MT.

Must Read Topics