Compact License

U.S.A. Massachusetts


I live in massachusetts currently have my MA RN license. Does anyone know how to get the information to apply for a license in a compact state. Also do l have to live in the state or can l just apply

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

To use a compact license you need to maintain a residence in the first state where the license was issued and comes under the compact agreement. If you move to the new state you have to endorse your license and meet requirements

You have to be a permanent resident of a compact state in order to get a license with "compact privileges." If you apply for licensure in a compact state from another state, you will get a license, but it will just be a regular, traditional license that is only good in that state.

Specializes in Sub-Acute/Psychiatric/Detox.

It has been tried legislatively to make MA a Compact state so far no go.

The Application says:

(Section 6)

___________________ DECLARATION OF PRIMARY STATE OF RESIDENCE: You must declare your primary state of residence. This is where you live and this is considered your fixed or permanent residence.

If you live in one of the compact states, you must take the examination in that state. The compact states are: Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Mississippi, Nebraska, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia and Wisconsin.

My Question is, for example: if a nurse wants to get initial license from new mexico (will live in new mexico) but at the time of processing of application has a Colorado permanent address... it says If you live in one of the compact states, you must take the examination in that state.


EDITED: or, i think if the nurse's primary residence is a compact state, then the nurse MUST apply for initial license in that state also.

+ Add a Comment