question re: licensure

  1. im a new grad and planning to work in CA this summer. can i sit for boards in my home state but apply for my licensure in CA? i am not talking about endorsement. i only want to be licensed in CA. thanks!
  2. Visit blee1 profile page

    About blee1

    Joined: Sep '04; Posts: 242; Likes: 6


  3. by   breech
    u need a SSN
  4. by   blee1
    Quote from 092084
    u need a SSN
    what? that doesnt help me at all..
  5. by   breech
    im sorry.. i sent a wrong message..pardon me
  6. by   TazziRN
    If you take the boards in one state you will get a license in that state and will have to get another one in CA. The state in which you take your boards issues the initial license. If you would rather be licensed in CA, can you come to CA and take the boards here?
  7. by   suzanne4
    Sorry, but all of the information given above is incorrect. You can sit for the NCLEX exam for a paricular state where ever you want, even out of the US.

    You just need to apply to CA for initial licensure and go thru that process. I do highly recommend that you actually write the exam before you move and have that out of the way. You definitely do not have to wait until you get to CA to write the exam. Where you actually write the exam has no bearing on where you will obtain your first license from.

    Where you write the exam does not matter. Just the state that you are writing it for plays any part in it.

    Best of luck to you.

    And remember that most foreign nurses take the NCLEX-RN exam out of the US before they even get a visa to come to the US. They can write the exam for which ever state that they want, they just need to be approved by that state.
    Last edit by suzanne4 on May 1, '07
  8. by   suzanne4
    Quote from 092084
    u need a SSN

    SSN# is not needed to write the NCLEX exam, only for the permanent license.