Jump to content

CA Nursing License via Endorsement from Missouri


Has 3 years experience.

I was looking on the Nursing Board for California and see that for nurses graduating from MO have to have a MO nursing license first, then apply for endorsement in CA.

I graduate from Barnes Jewish College in April 2014, and have plans on returning back to CA as soon as I am done.

Is this the process I would need to follow?

I was told by another individual that I would have to take a CA state exam, which is different from state to state. Is this part true? I didn't see this anywhere on the website. I always thought it was the NCLEX and this was it.


TheCommuter, BSN, RN

Specializes in Case mgmt., rehab, (CRRN), LTC & psych. Has 15 years experience.

There is no separate exam for California. The NCLEX is a national exam, and a passing result is acceptable in all states and U.S. territories.

When you visited the California BRN website, did you look at information for obtaining a CA RN license by examination? If I am not mistaken, you do not need to obtain a Missouri RN license first. After you graduate from your nursing program, you can apply directly to the CA BRN for your initial RN license by taking NCLEX for California. You do not need to go through the trouble of getting a Missouri license if you never intend to practice there.

Click on this link: Board of Registered Nursing - Licensure by Examination


Has 3 years experience.

Thank you TheCommuter!

BeccaznRN, RN

Specializes in NICU, High-Risk L&D, IBCLC. Has 14 years experience.

TheCommuter is spot-on. I graduated from UMSL - applied for RN licensure via exam through the state of California without ever getting a license in Missouri. Very easy process.

BeccaznRN : How long did it take to get your CA license? I am trying to decide whether to license in MO first and transfer to CA or to skip MO and just get licensed for CA. I graduate in August. If I license in MO, I thought I might get a temporary permit while waiting for the endorsement paperwork to go through. Do you know anything about that?

time2go, MSN, RN, NP

Specializes in Hospice and Palliative Care. Has 5 years experience.

Any responses to wildflower 70 forthcoming? I'm in the same boat; long time Californian who left the state to get into a BSN program without waiting. Graduating in So Dakota in December. I've been told that getting my SoDak license then applying for a CA license by endorsement and getting a temp CA license while waiting for the perm CA license is the quicker way to go. Anyone have experience with that vs. testing for CA license directly when out of state? (Geez, looks confusing when it's all printed out like that!)

My little birdy says it takes weeks longer to get the permanent CA license than to get the So Dak license and a temp CA license so BeccaznRN, how long did it take you to get your CA license from when you tested and how long ago did that happen, if you don't mind sharing?

Edited by time2go
added question

BeccaznRN, RN

Specializes in NICU, High-Risk L&D, IBCLC. Has 14 years experience.

I dug this info up from an old post of mine (because my memory is NOT that good after six years): I graduated from nursing school in Missouri on Dec. 16. My school sent all of my application forms, including my transcript, to California's BRN on Jan. 11 (because the school was closed throughout the holidays into the new year). Received my ATT and IPN from California on Feb. 2 and took/passed NCLEX (in California) on Feb. 26. I was issued my RN license on Feb. 28 and received it in the mail approx. one week later. This was in 2006/2007.

Edited by BeccaznRN


Has 3 years experience.

Thanks Becca! Which school did you go to in MO (just curious)? Was it difficult to find work as a new grad nurse? I have a bunch of other questions if you don't mind shooting me an email? waifungdavidsit@gmail.com

So I am in the same boat. Moving from MN to CA right after graduation. I have received conflicting information about which route (endorsement vs examination) is quicker. Which route did you end up taking and how long did it take? Thanks.


Has 3 years experience.

I think I have decided to stay in MO and get licensed, then find work wherever I can and apply to the hospital in CA and MO all at the same time. It is easier to get the license in the state you get your school done as I have heard getting a license in CA is a bit harder. Don't limit yourself to just the MN and CA. Apply to programs in other states like TX, AZ, NV, WA, OR, etc...to open up your opportunities. Just be mobile for a couple of years, then rack up the experience and move back. That is my plan for now. I might even apply to hospitals in NY, NJ, MA, and maybe in FL?

Getting licensed by endorsement in CA takes ages.. start as soon as you can or just apply directly without endorsement.