I have 11 years of experience in the NICU. Just this past week was the first time in forever that I was still there 30 minutes past my shift. My night went to you-know-where in a hand basket around 5 A.M. and as I was trying to give the oncoming nurse report, I was constantly interrupted by every service imaginable coming by on early rounds to see my patients and needing some form of assistance (supplies, dressing changes, questions answered, etc.). I would say 95% of the time, I'm out on time or even early. The other 5% is usually over by just 5-10 minutes, mostly because the oncoming nurse is late and/or asking numerous questions. My employer doesn't require any explanation if we go into overtime.