BCIT BSN Nursing - January 2023 intake

Posted
by CocoB55 CocoB55 Member Student

Hey everyone!😀

I'm gearing up to apply for the BCIT January 2023 intake, and thought I'd start this thread so fellow applicants like me can chat and compare notes..

A bit about me:  I am currently finishing my B.Sc. at UBC (my last course finishes in mid-June '22.  I applied to UBC program, and was waitlisted (pretty far down the list, so it looks pretty bleak.)  Also I'm a 'mature' applicant (in my mid-40's with a grown son), and my grades from way back in the beginning of my post-secondary journey are not good, so that worries me.  (much better grades in recent courses, but not sure if BCIT takes that into consideration)

Questions I have regarding BCIT application:

  • how do they evaluate grades (is it total from all credits earned, or just the prerequisites, or some other breakdown?)
  • does anyone know how to calculate GPA from UBC grades which are all in percentages?

 

NelMwa

NelMwa

8 Posts

Hello!

I'm also planning to apply to the January 2022 intake! So glad to talk to other people who are applying!

I just finished up my bachelor's degree in kinesiology from SFU. I did decently in most of the pre-reqs (but have a 3.38/4.33 cGPA overall). Unfortunately not too much health care work experience (only a few months working as a COVID contact tracer) but I have lots of experience in retail and volunteer work in healthcare research and as a student mentor. Hoping that a strong casper score might help me (planning to do the one in late July) 🤞.

Not too sure about the grade evaluation. But I heard that they look at cGPA overall and consider your total amount of credits with that. And I've just been using my GPA from SFU but I've kind of been using this site as a guide (https://www.bcit.ca/admission/entrance-requirements/equivalencies/post-secondary/

CocoB55

CocoB55

49 Posts

1 hour ago, NelMwa said:

Hello!

I'm also planning to apply to the January 2022 intake! So glad to talk to other people who are applying!

I just finished up my bachelor's degree in kinesiology from SFU. I did decently in most of the pre-reqs (but have a 3.38/4.33 cGPA overall). Unfortunately not too much health care work experience (only a few months working as a COVID contact tracer) but I have lots of experience in retail and volunteer work in healthcare research and as a student mentor. Hoping that a strong casper score might help me (planning to do the one in late July) 🤞.

Not too sure about the grade evaluation. But I heard that they look at cGPA overall and consider your total amount of credits with that. And I've just been using my GPA from SFU but I've kind of been using this site as a guide (https://www.bcit.ca/admission/entrance-requirements/equivalencies/post-secondary/

Hi @NelMwa , thanks for your reply!  Best of luck with your application 🙂 

I took my Casper test in January (2022), and since the BCIT application is in June/July, I believe my test score will still be valid?  I think they are valid for a full year/application cycle, which is September to August.  I hope that's correct, I really don't want to have to re-do it again so soon!  Although I do still have to do Snapshot - (that wasn't required for UBC so I haven't done it yet.)

Thanks for the GPA link, that's very helpful!  

I wonder how long it takes to get an answer from BCIT, after applying - for UBC it took a very long time, it's agonizing to have to wait so long.

Edited by CocoB55
corrected casper test month

NelMwa

NelMwa

8 Posts

On 5/17/2022 at 1:41 PM, CocoB55 said:

Hi @NelMwa , thanks for your reply!  Best of luck with your application 🙂 

I took my Casper test in January (2022), and since the BCIT application is in June/July, I believe my test score will still be valid?  I think they are valid for a full year/application cycle, which is September to August.  I hope that's correct, I really don't want to have to re-do it again so soon!  Although I do still have to do Snapshot - (that wasn't required for UBC so I haven't done it yet.)

Thanks for the GPA link, that's very helpful!  

I wonder how long it takes to get an answer from BCIT, after applying - for UBC it took a very long time, it's agonizing to have to wait so long.

Hello 😄,

From my understanding, your test should still be valid. When I was registering for my test, they hadn't put any of the 2023/2024 cycle dates up. So I believe this intake is still considered as part of the 2022 year. 

I'm really hoping they don't keep us waiting too long! I'm so ready to hear back and the application just opened 🙃

Good luck with your application!!

tralaw

tralaw

23 Posts

On 6/1/2022 at 6:35 PM, NelMwa said:

Hello 😄,

From my understanding, your test should still be valid. When I was registering for my test, they hadn't put any of the 2023/2024 cycle dates up. So I believe this intake is still considered as part of the 2022 year. 

I'm really hoping they don't keep us waiting too long! I'm so ready to hear back and the application just opened 🙃

Good luck with your application!!

Hi if this helps, I'm currently in the BCIT Nursing program.

I did casper in February 2021, and those results worked for the whole year of 2021 intakes, doesn't apply to the start date (for me it was January 2022). You can also email the Nursing program directly to double check, they are friendly and respond in about 3-5 days. Feel free to ask me any other questions if you guys have any!

Edited by tralaw

abc123

abc123

2 Posts

Hi all,

I just got conditionally accepted into the BCIT BSN January 2023 intake! Looking forward to meeting you all :)

CocoB55

CocoB55

49 Posts

25 minutes ago, abc123 said:

Hi all,

I just got conditionally accepted into the BCIT BSN January 2023 intake! Looking forward to meeting you all 🙂

Congrats!  I just got accepted too! 😀 

So excited to meet everyone!