WGU evaluated my transcipts and now I'm not sure I should choose themRegister Today!
This is a discussion on WGU evaluated my transcipts and now I'm not sure I should choose them in Western Governors University Online Nursing Degrees, part of Online Nursing Schools, Traditional Schools, Colleges, Universities ... Just received my transcript evaluation from Western Governors, now I'm not sure if I should choose...by paradiseboundRN Mar 7Just received my transcript evaluation from Western Governors, now I'm not sure if I should choose another online program or go with them.
I have a AAS-RN from Community College and took 2 nursing classes in a local University's RN-BSN program 10 years ago. I took Conceptual Foundations of Practice and Health Promotion in the Community. I have been a RN for 13 years (2 yrs hospital, 1 year insurance case management, and 10 years Home Care).
These are the results that are concerning me: WGU won't transfer either nursing class from the University. And they say I need a Health Assessment Class because mine was only 1 credit at community college, a Growth and Development Class (I have taken sociology and Health Promotion in Community), and micro with lab. I took micro in community college but it had no lab.
What do you think? Should I look elsewhere or is this what all of you are finding?
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=820155©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 2,330 Views
- No core nursing classes taken from other schools will transfer. That is the same for everyone, and many schools have that policy.
- Mar 7 by paradiseboundRNWhat about the Health Assessment class? Is this common?
- I can't speak for that, as I completed the program prior to January, which is when they changed their curriculum somewhat.
- Mar 7 by travelovingnurseThat's disappointing. My transcripts are currently being evaluated. How did their currriculum change in January?
- I don't know exactly, they're requiring a few classes that they didn't previously require (like Assessment, World History, Gerontology), and they dropped a class or two, and renamed a few others.
- Mar 7 by paradiseboundRNQuote from travelovingnurseI am going to appeal the health assessment and growth and development. It can't hurt to try.That's disappointing. My transcripts are currently being evaluated. How did their currriculum change in January?
- Mar 7 by travelovingnurseI agree! Keep us updated. Is there another program you are considering? I am about to lose my mind deciding which program to do!
Quote from paradiseboundRNI am going to appeal the health assessment and growth and development. It can't hurt to try.
- Mar 8 by RN*mommyWith what WGU is telling you needs to be done for your degree, how many credits does it end up being? I'm only asking because I recall being upset having to take 4 "extra" classes outside their nursing classes when I started the program. I did an appeal of a writing class and biochem with no results. I still stuck with the program and was able to finish in 5 ½ months...35 credits total. I think with your extensive nursing background you'll do just fine. I've been a nurse for almost 10 years with a background in peds and NICU.
I've really enjoyed the program and have talked it up to anyone who seems interested in advancing their nursing studies. I even switched to the MSN track because I've enjoyed it so much. It's not easy and you do have to put forth the time and effort...but the end result is awesome.
- Mar 8 by paradiseboundRNIt looks like I'll have 4 extra classes also. It shouldn't be bad though considering I already took 2 of the nursing classes 10 years ago and I have taken Micro, just not the lab. The only ones I'm worried about is statistics and biochem. However, I did have 1 year of chemistry. I figure I can get though anything if its only 6 mos-year. Thanks for the input!