Any hospitals hiring new grads?
- 0Sep 14, '09 by RN1298Does anyone know of any hospitals, community health agencies, long term care facilities, etc. in the D.C./northern Virginia/Maryland area hiring new grads right now? I'll graduate in December with a BSN and a strong resume but no nursing experience. I really wanted to work at Children's, or Georgetown, but judging from their online job postings, they are not hiring any more new grads right now.
Thanks for any information or ideas anyone has!
- 0Sep 17, '09 by ufblondiAmy,
All the major hospitals here have new grad programs that start in Feb. I know georgetown currently has postings on their site for dec grads (its listed exactly as that, something like dec new grads) for their feb program. GW has one as well, but I don't know if they have a posting yet. For Washington Hospital center, get into their dream day. That is where they hire all of their new grads from! I would start applying ASAP. Like I've said in previous posts on the site, many of these programs fill up SUPER Fast. I had my job for August lined up in April.
- 0Sep 17, '09 by ufblondiActually, I just looked on georgetowns website and didn't see the postings anymore. I know when I looked a few days ago they had them up for Dec and one for a spring grad class. I would call them and ask them. They are really good at answering the phone and answering questions!
- 0Oct 21, '09 by SanCapI know Children's will be hiring a lot of new grads this January-at least 25 for the ICU's alone. We just received a significant amount of money and will be expanding our new ICU unit by renovating an old one and increasing by about 13-22 beds...we are hiring new grads ahead of time so that they will be off orientation (6 months long) and experienced by the time the newly renovated unit is open. We will also be hiring about 25 new grads next June as well.
- 0Nov 14, '09 by Hoosier03SanCap, I noticed you recently started working at the Children's Hospital at their PICU. I am having an interview there and was wondering if you have any tips how I can get better prepared for the interview with the unit manager. Also, I was wondering what the format of the interview is. Is it scenario type questions or more like what, how, when etc...
- 0Nov 21, '09 by RN1298Does anyone have any other ideas of where to apply? I've applied to Children's, Georgetown, Virginia Hospital Center, Washington Hospital Center, National Rehabilitation Hospital, Shady Grove Adventist... and I'm probably forgetting a couple. I love pediatrics and have been really discouraged to not get an interview with Children's but I still have a couple applications open there, so I guess it isn't too late. But I also don't mind working in *any* area and hopefully one day transitioning into peds. I've applied to every kind of nursing position, as you can see. Are there any hospitals or long term care facilities in the DC area that I'm missing? I'm not from around there, so I know there are some I just haven't found yet.
- 0Nov 21, '09 by malenurzAmy12 - don't panic. Do you have your license yet, or are you still in school? It's tough to open doors when you're from o-o-s (out-of-state). It's not impossible, but... it can be challenging. If you're still in school, when do you graduate? When do you take your NCLEX? Send me a private message and I can help you through it. If you're really serious about getting hired in DC, perhaps you should buy a ticket after you take your NCLEX, so you might have your license in hand...? I'm a new grad, from o-o-s, and I just went through it, and would be glad to give you advice somewhat more privately. Send me a private message via allnurses and I'll help you through it.