What should I get paid in Austin?Register Today!
- by bonestAx Oct 9, '12I was quoted an offer in ED in Austin for about $23/hr with a little over 1 years experience. Is this about average for the area? Austin seems to be quite expensive to live is this enough money to make it there?
What else should I know about nursing in Austin and TX?
- 1,338 Views
- Oct 10, '12 by TheCommuterYes. Unfortunately, that pay rate sounds right on target for Austin.
Realize that Austin hospitals can get away with paying lower wages because it is considered a hip, cool, trendy, and desirable place to live. Nurses from all over the country have flocked to Austin, and this has helped to depress wages in the local healthcare market.
Even though the cost of living there is higher than most other major Texas cities, people willingly accept the lowball pay rates in order to live in the city.
- Oct 15, '12 by bonestAxWell, is it really that nice to live there or is it just hype?
- Oct 15, '12 by TheCommuterQuote from bonestAxI've visited Austin, but have never lived there. I also have a couple of family members who live in a suburb of Austin, so I wouldn't be able to tell you much about living there.Well, is it really that nice to live there or is it just hype?
When I first started looking into moving to Texas 7 years ago, I researched Austin and quickly crossed it off the list because the nursing pay rates were low and the cost of living seemed rather high for a city in a Southern state.
- Oct 16, '12 by DazzlesMy boyfriend and I rent a very very nice 900 sq ft apartment. Each have car payments, insurance payments, groceries, internet, cell phone, etc.
I make half of what you're starting out on and he makes about $14 per hour right now.
We have more than enough for our bills and a bit left over. Considering you'll make a little under what we make as a COUPLE -- you'll be fine.
I wouldn't run out and buy a house right now, but you can definitely live. If you have an entire family to support on your own, you may want to look elsewhere.
- Oct 16, '12 by bonestAxWhere did you end up commuter?
Thank you dazzles that helps a lot. I will be coming down to Austin in Nov. to see what the city is like and to tour a few facilities. So we will see what happens.