Updates on McAllen and BrownsvilleRegister Today!
This is a discussion on Updates on McAllen and Brownsville in Texas Nursing, part of United States Nursing ... Hi All! So I know in the past there were some posts concerning bth McAllen and Brownsville TX but...by alizae06 Jan 14, '09Hi All!
So I know in the past there were some posts concerning bth McAllen and Brownsville TX but they ae usually years old.
I am a new RN and pretty much the pickins are slim. TX is like the only place offering me anything....sooooo... I wanted to know how McAllen and Brownsville are today. I've read that there's alot of growth in McAllen right now. I'd really like to get a good idea of what I may be walking into and would appreciate any CURRENT info on these areas.
The two hospitals in consideration are Rio Grande Regional Hospital in McAllen and Valley Regional Medical Center in Brownsville. I saw that Rio won a healthgrades award but everything isn't always as it seems so any CURRENT insight into these two hospitals are greatly appreaciated as well as anyother leads. Please keep in mind that I am frm PA (Philly), and would pro. need relocation assistance.
Thanks for your help in advance!!!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=362148©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 2,420 Views
- Jan 15, '09 by Bortaz, RNI've written many posts recently about the RGV. I'll be leaving this hellhole as soon as I graduate in May and my wife's contract in McAllen is completed. Feel free to search for my recent posts, but I'll sum it up by saying, do not come to the Rio Grande Valley. You'll regret it if you do.
- Jan 15, '09 by redrangerQuote from BortaZinTxI agree he did an excellent write up.I've written many posts recently about the RGV. I'll be leaving this hellhole as soon as I graduate in May and my wife's contract in McAllen is completed. Feel free to search for my recent posts, but I'll sum it up by saying, do not come to the Rio Grande Valley. You'll regret it if you do.
All I can say is be glad Texas has the Castle Doctrine Now.
You can carry a concealed Handgun in your car, and place of business without a CHL.
Make sure to protect yourself.
- Jan 16, '09 by chocolateskyeThey are hiring in Abilene texas at Abilene regional medical center in their med surg and telemetry units. They are also hiring at southeast baptist hospital in san antonio in med surg FYI.
- Jan 18, '09 by NeoNurseTXNO NO NO NO NO. I have NEVER heard a positive thing about the area.
- Feb 23, '09 by alliancemedstaffAre you kidding me??? the valley is stable and very relax!!! i moved here from NJ, at first it was a culture shock. Of course it was. But I have grown into the valley culture. First of all, there tons of hospitals down here competing crazy! There's McAllen Med., Rio Grande Regional, Edinburg Regional, Doctor's Hospital at Renaissance, Valley Baptist, Valley Regional, Laredo Mercy Hospital, Valley regional, and probably a couple more i forget to mention. A lot of RN's have moved here in the past decade especially from the east coast!!! now, more are coming in from California, Michigan, and Florida. You don't see any offices or businesses closing, but just OPENING! You will not see a recession in sight at all. It's funny to explain to my friends and family that I don't feel in a recession at all. Just look up McAllen! It is a much better choice. Let me know if you want more info about the region...D not hate on the valley!!!
The region has lots of rich people but are not all showy and being a braggart!!! trust me, my friends are like those, very down to earth. Like example, the Simon Mall here is the highest grossing of all the Simon Malls (Surprised? yea, i was too).
- Mar 8, '09 by fathertodRN Jobs in Brownsville and Harlingen are drying up quick. There is a complete hiring freeze at Valley Baptist in harligen...and a bit more
- Mar 10, '09 by icu26RNI have been in Mcallen for a few months now. There is a lot of growth in Mcallen and there is not a lack of restaurants and depending what you like to do Mcallen's downtown is growing a lot and they have nightclubs, jazz clubs, and restaurants downtown. I work at Doctor's Hospital at Renaissance and interviewed at a few other hospitals in the area. Doctor's Hospital has the safest nurse to patient ratios I have heard of in this area, although they do not have HUGE sign on bonuses like some of the other hospitals. I personally feel safe in Mcallen but I don't really go outside of Mcallen's more populated areas very much. The cost of living is very low, the winter weather has been wonderful in the 70's-80's. South Padre is about an hour away. If you have any other questions message me
- Mar 12, '09 by SouthTXRNThanks alliancemed and ICU26. I live in Laredo and I hate all the bad press we're getting in the news. Yes there is a drug problem but up to now it's in Mexico. I have yet (knock on wood) see any type of violence here in town. There's always the possibility that something might happen anywhere you live (look at Alabama). If your willing to come down here, be ready to adapt. As alliancemed said, be ready for culture shock, people either love it or hate it. Good luck on your job hunt and keep us posted.
- Mar 12, '09 by DC2FNPRN Jobs in Brownsville and Harlingen are drying up quick.